CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ventura Rack System

MikeXX

The manual says to "remove and discard the central tie-down pins, retain the washers and body spacers", and pretty much the same for the rear.

Now, apart from not "discarding" OEM parts from my bike :P I can *not* get this thing on with the OEM washers in place.

The rack mounts don't fit inside the "steps" in the washers, so it adds a full 1/2 inch across the back, which means the rack is 1/2 an inch too narrow. The kit came with "spare" washers that keep it from contacting the grab rail directly, and the centre/front mount has the body spacers so it rests on that.

Physics suggests the greater portion of the stress will be across the bolts, rather than towards the rear fairing, so I think it should be ok, or are there some super secret differences between the 97 and 00-02 washers that make this thing fit with them in place? :)

Same here...I just put mine back on the other night, not really paying attention, but I do not remember any washers going on. Will check tamale.

Hmmmm... it appears I didn't read the destructions when I installed mine a couple of years ago.

I kept only the body spacers (the shouldered washers) on the front when I did mine. I can't recall how I did the back, as I now have removed the factory grab rail and installed the body plugs, making shims from aluminum pipe stock to make up the difference. The Ventura grab rail all by itself is a little high and looks funky, but my wife couldn't hold either rail comfortably with both installed. I think it was the same in the back as the front - no silver washers.

Without the silver washers, the rails fit fine and the racks line up. My rails needed to be tweaked a little the first time to make it line up perfectly - one was a little off. I stuck a socket extension in the rail and bent it a little at a time until the rack fit right.

For the money, I would have liked to have seen a better locking system for the rack-to-rail interface - the double thumb screw thing is a little old-school. I'm sure there's something better, but it hasn't bothered me enough to get the welder out and make something.

Mine has the honda step washers in the front and a 2mm thick stainlees washer at the rear. Still needed a very slight tweek to get everything to slot together the first time.

Stu

Thanks for the replies :) Mine fits one much the same as WestTeXXas and Bad-Dog. It's a little.. irritating that something "made for" the XX doesn't actually fit per the instructions, but that aside it worked very well this weekend.

At speed didn't really notice it at all, down around the 20-30MPH range it seemed to add some instability, but nothing drastic.