CBR1100XX.org Forum

First long ride with Avon 45/46

SR71BLACKBIRDXX

The first thing that struck me when I got the tire was the tread pattern. Although it looks kinda cool, my worries came true this weekend...

Corners and speeds below 15 mph..(like coming to a stop) the bike seems to wallow signifigantly more than before. Kinda like a 80's jap cruiser. Very funny feeling. Has anyone else noticed this with this tire??

This is the last time I listen to you bastidges about anything.... :icon_fingers:

Metzeler from now on...

The first thing that struck me when I got the tire was the tread pattern. Although it looks kinda cool, my worries came true this weekend...

Corners and speeds below 15 mph..(like coming to a stop) the bike seems to wallow signifigantly more than before. Kinda like a 80's jap cruiser. Very funny feeling. Has anyone else noticed this with this tire??

This low-speed "walking" is 100% normal for the Avon. It's nothing to be concerned about, trust me. Within a couple hundred miles, you'll hardly even notice it. It only occurs at low speeds; once you're moving along, it vanishes.

Once your Avons are thoroughly scrubbed in, go take the bike through some triple-digit sweepers, or go ride some cornors in the rain, and you'll find out why the tire is among the top favorites in most sport-touring communities.

I have to ask, just how stable are they in the rain?

I ride in any weather, and the bike came with a set of 45/46 on it when I picked it up, but I've been really cautious whenever the roads get wet.

I still ride, but typically under cautioned speeds on corners by a good margin, out of low confidence in corner traction on wet pavement.

I know I can easily break them loose with a little rough power application, no surprise, but am unsure about typical cornering traction in the wet.

This low-speed "walking" is 100% normal for the Avon. It's nothing to be concerned about, trust me. Within a couple hundred miles, you'll hardly even notice it. It only occurs at low speeds; once you're moving along, it vanishes.

Once your Avons are thoroughly scrubbed in, go take the bike through some triple-digit sweepers, or go ride some cornors in the rain, and you'll find out why the tire is among the top favorites in most sport-touring communities.

Do you use the Avons on your XX?

The Avon's are great for what they are, and nothing will get you better mileage.

As for grip, they're great right up to 80%, then like to slide around, although controllably. The Metzeler's give better grip & feel, especially when ridden hard, but won't give you the mileage of the Avon's.

YMMV.

I've had four sets of them and never had a problem with them. Even used them on the track and had zero chicken strips - no sliding. Course, I'm an old fucker, so maybe I didn't push them as hard as you do. No issues in the rain, either. My last rear got 5500 miles and the fronts 8K with a little cupping. Excellent tires, imho. :icon_clap:

The Avon's are great for what they are, and nothing will get you better mileage.

As for grip, they're great right up to 80%, then like to slide around, although controllably. The Metzeler's give better grip & feel, especially when ridden hard, but won't give you the mileage of the Avon's.

YMMV.

Yeah, thats what I had gathered from other posts ... I really love the Z6 rear, M1 front combo I am running now, and while the Z6 gets decent mileage compared to all the others I have used, it is still nothing to write home about. I get about 4-5k out of a Z6..

What kind of mileage are you Avon users getting from the rears? Need to decide if its worth a small traction loss when thrashing the corners for the extra miles.

What kind of mileage are you Avon users getting from the rears? Need to decide if its worth a small traction loss when thrashing the corners for the extra miles.

I got 8000Km out of my last rear, it was replaced after I picked up a nail. I figure could have got 2-3000Km more out of it. I have about 11,000Km on my front it's still got a few 1000km left.

At a street pace, there is no performance difference between the Avons and the Sportec M1, save for the fact the Avons ride * a bit* harsher than the Metzlers-due, no doubt, to the higher tire pressure. Conversely, I get double the mileage out of an Avon rear that i do from the M1 (about 2500 miles verses 5000 from the Avon ST). In the wet, the Avons are great when they're new (less than 2000 mi.), at least good untill they wear out-we did triple digits through glenwood Canyon in 50 degree rain two or three springs ago. I'm currently running M1s, but that's only 'cuz I got a set from SWMotoTire for $196 shipped: when they're burned, I'm probably going back to the Avons (46 rear, 49 front).

Bryan...I hear the Pilot powers are nice, but I doubt they'll get much for mileage...

At a street pace, there is no performance difference between the Avons and the Sportec M1, save for the fact the Avons ride * a bit* harsher than the Metzlers-due, no doubt, to the higher tire pressure. Conversely, I get double the mileage out of an Avon rear that i do from the M1 (about 2500 miles verses 5000 from the Avon ST). In the wet, the Avons are great when they're new (less than 2000 mi.), at least good untill they wear out-we did triple digits through glenwood Canyon in 50 degree rain two or three springs ago. I'm currently running M1s, but that's only 'cuz I got a set from SWMotoTire for $196 shipped: when they're burned, I'm probably going back to the Avons (46 rear, 49 front).

Bryan...I hear the Pilot powers are nice, but I doubt they'll get much for mileage...

Ahhhhhh Glenwood canyon, I went 5 over through there a few weeks back (speed limit is 110 there right?).. I think I am going to stick with the Z6 rear, if I am getting 4-5k, I really can't complain. The M1 front is still looking good at this point, the rear is about to go. Plus, affordable tires up in denver has the Metzelers dirt cheap.

PS .. I see your in littleton, whereabouts?

I just got about 7500 miles on a rear Avon. It stuck well enough for the way I ride and was very predictable. I just put a new one on.

Ahhhhhh Glenwood canyon, I went 5 over through there a few weeks back (speed limit is 110 there right?).. I think I am going to stick with the Z6 rear, if I am getting 4-5k, I really can't complain. The M1 front is still looking good at this point, the rear is about to go. Plus, affordable tires up in denver has the Metzelers dirt cheap.

I did two weeks on the Z6 tire in the Alps (I won and Edelweiss Tour-I know, lucky son-of-a-bitch, huh?), and the bloody tires wear like iron and are really pretty sticky, but I just couldn't get past the fact that they'd let go (front and rear) COMPLETELY when I rode over tar snakes...it just freaks me out. It sounds like you solved some of the problem going w/ the M1 front and Z6 rear.

Tracy and I live by Wadsworth and Ken Caryl on the southwest side of town...anyplace near you?

Bryan...rode in today-it's faster than taking the RTD milk run buses...

I did two weeks on the Z6 tire in the Alps (I won and Edelweiss Tour-I know, lucky son-of-a-bitch, huh?), and the bloody tires wear like iron and are really pretty sticky, but I just couldn't get past the fact that they'd let go (front and rear) COMPLETELY when I rode over tar snakes...it just freaks me out. It sounds like you solved some of the problem going w/ the M1 front and Z6 rear.

Tracy and I live by Wadsworth and Ken Caryl on the southwest side of town...anyplace near you?

Bryan...rode in today-it's faster than taking the RTD milk run buses...

Heh, I think we're neighbors lol.. tell me you don't live in Columbine west? I'm on Ontario Pl, right off Coal Mine and Wadsworth .. either way, we live @ 1 mile apart

As far as the Z6, I ride pretty hard and the rear has never let go ... I tried a Pilot road rear a while back and I hated it ... now that tire would let go, and fealt like a brick.

Heh, I think we're neighbors lol.. tell me you don't live in Columbine west? I'm on Ontario Pl, right off Coal Mine and Wadsworth .. either way, we live @ 1 mile apart

As far as the Z6, I ride pretty hard and the rear has never let go ... I tried a Pilot road rear a while back and I hated it ... now that tire would let go, and fealt like a brick.

Nope, we live in Stoney Brook, Between Wadsworth and Garrison, just north of Ken Caryl. We're gettin' ready to put the house on the market (Tracy wants more room, and I want a three car gargage with a south-facing driveway), but we want to stay on the southwest side of town. I doubt we'll wind up more than 4 or 5 miles away from where we are now.

I need to get the house in shape to sell, but wouldn't mind meeting up soon to sniff bikes, if you want.

Bryan...I hate moving, 'cuz I hate packing all my shit...

I run a ST46 rear and a SP49 front Great combo..

I run on the street at a spirited pace and don't have any problems. I did have some cold tearing on my rear last yr but nothing serious.

I also only get 4000 - 4500 miles out of a set :icon_shifty: :icon_whistle:

Only 5 over I swear :icon_twisted:

go take the bike through some triple-digit sweepers

I never break the law...thank you... :icon_liar:

Thanks Dale...Its a real weird feeling. I was hoping that it will go away once the tires are broken in a little. Other than that, they feel good and about 1000 times better than the stockers.

I got a hair over 10K miles out of my last Avon rear, though at least 6500 of that was during a trip to Cali. Still had a little bit to the wear bars but picked up a nail so I changed them out. Not sure what I'll get out of this set, but they are wearing well with over 3K on them so far.

Nope, we live in Stoney Brook, Between Wadsworth and Garrison, just north of Ken Caryl. We're gettin' ready to put the house on the market (Tracy wants more room, and I want a three car gargage with a south-facing driveway), but we want to stay on the southwest side of town. I doubt we'll wind up more than 4 or 5 miles away from where we are now.

I need to get the house in shape to sell, but wouldn't mind meeting up soon to sniff bikes, if you want.

Bryan...I hate moving, 'cuz I hate packing all my shit...

Yeah I'm up for bike sniffing and riding anytime ... I have to get new rear rubber on mine this week, but hopefully will be able to get it out by the weekend ... got any plans? Always looking to meet new riders.