CBR1100XX.org Forum

macadam 100x owners question....

TIM

did a search on this, and I'm sorry to litter the garage, but I must ask ...

my 180/55 100x has 4575mi . i don't have a tread depth gauge but comparing the side (no wear heh heh) depth down to the twi and the center of the tire down to the twi, it looks half gone.

i have a 3700 mi trip coming hopefully, touring, and wondering if your macadam 100x wore evenly/linearly or did it start to wear out at a faster rate once past a certain point, like 50%. am i going to get 3700 more out of it or should I just trash a half worn tire. if this were a dunlop, it'd be a no brainer :lol: but i hate to waste my good french tire :grin:

how many miles did you get out of your 100x rear?

p.s. i run it at 40lbs

Why put yourself in that situation :???: , takr the Macadems off, put on a new set, then put the Macadems back on for local riding :wink: , Nothing worse than your trip being ruined :wink: , I have also got 9,000 out of the rear, now go spend your money vs. loosing sleep during your trip :cool:

Edward, bbirdx2000 thanks! I thought the tire only was half gone and I'm glad to hear it sounds like it's got plenty of life yet.

I'think you're right though, might as well put it out of mind. I only wish the tire was still made. I am replacing with Metzler M4 this time so I better get ordering....

:smokin:

Well Tim word on the streets is: theirs a new tire out called the Avon 45/46 :wink: , I think one, no make that two guys here on the forum are using them :wink: . Just when you sloved one problem then another one shows up :wink: :lol:

Harry

I would just leave the tire on and run it. If during the trip you reach the tread wear indicators, you should be able to find a shop to put a new tire on with little hassle. I'm currently running a set of Pilot Roads with what I estimated to be half worn at the rear. I took a trip to St. Louis in May, and anguished for days in advance about whether to change the tire before I left. I finally said screw it, and just took off. One week and 2300 miles later, the rear tire looked essentially the same after the rip as it did before. Just stay on top of your pressures, and you should be fine.

bbirdxx2000, I gave the Avons a lot of consideration but there's too many (imo) posts here about extreme mileage variation. 3000 miles? I know a set of mez4 can be trashed quickly too but that doesn't seem to be the common outcome. So no Avons, yet. I'm a big metzer fan anyway.

Roadrash, jrdxx, funny how you beat yourself up over a tire, and it's one more expense, and I've got 2-3 half tires down stairs that are really just laughing at me whenever I get near them. :evil: My luck is I'll pick up a nail 55 miles down the road on a new mez4 and then I'll just be the most fun person to be around :lol: So I agree, good comments.

so I'm replacing the front for sure (what a piece of shit the 205 is) and am going to give the rear more thought. the 100x is a fantastic tire and doesn't sound like they'll go out quickly like the dunlops I had. I'm going to get a tire depth gauge too and be more confident after I measure.

:cycle:

bbirdxx2000, I gave the Avons a lot of consideration but there's too many (imo) posts here about extreme mileage variation.  3000 miles?  I know a set of mez4 can be trashed quickly too but that doesn't seem to be the common outcome.  So no Avons, yet.  I'm a big Metzeler fan anyway

I decided to try out a set of Pilot Roads and removed my ME Z4s after 8,300 miles. There was still around 3/32nds left on the rear but since I had to remove the tires to do all of the changes that I was making... I changed the tires while they were off the bike anyway.

If I don't see close to 9,000 on the Michelins... I'll stay with the Metzelers

Is there any reason why you can't replace your tire(s) if necessary while you are on your ride?

I can think of a few: :wink: You just realizied your tire is shot and its Sunday

The closest dealer is 50 miles away and tells you in about two days we can mount them :sad:

They don'nt have the tire in stock you want :sad:

They don,nt have the right size in stock :sad:

The dealer has the upper hand and you will pay full price :sad:

Harry

Like bbird said, depending on the type of tire you're running on your bike and where in the country you are, you'll probably have to order a tire and wait 2 days to get it installed.

Then, you'll probably pay a shop minimum of $50 or something silly to get it installed.

I ran into this last year in South Dakota. My rear was safe, but getting down there, so I thought I'd try to get a new one while I was at a "major" Honda delarship. But, seeing as 99 out of 100 riders in the area ride cruisers, nobody had a sport-touring tire I could mount. But I could wait two days and then pay something like $65 to have it installed.

So, I just rode the 2500 miles home and the tire held up fine and I had a new one put on at my local dealership for $10 :)