CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bowflex Q's

I'm thinking very seriously about picking up a bowflex. I have gone back thru the old threads but just had some questions.

You guys that have them what are your impressions now that you have had/used them for a while? Any gripes? I have been sorta looking at the Sport the most since its priced a little nicer but I think I really like the setup of the Extreme. Which ones do you guys/gals have and would you recommend that model or maybe one of the others?

Most likely I'm going to get a used one. There seems to be a lot of them that have been lightly used and then just became an obstacle in the middle of the spare room that people are now trying to get rid of.

Also I have fiddle around with them a bit in stores but basically didnt do anything but bench press. Being ~6'4" do you think there will be any issue with range of motion not being long enough for me? Anything else you want to add would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

You dont want to go with anything less than the Extreme....or else you will be hooking and unhooking crap and its going to get old real quick.

Im not sure about range of motion for you, but Im sure you'll be fine. Many of the attachments have adjustments to shorten or lengthen them

I really love mine....it does the job well. Its not like the gym machines....you really have to concentrate on keeping your form. All in all, I think It's a great package. I wouldnt have wanted to go with anything less.

I have the Extreme2.

• 1 year later...

Bowflex huh? Let me tell you a story 'bout those people who build the Bowflex system...

Any machine that you can draw the pulley system, keep it there for 5 seconds, and then notice

the tension rods haven't resumed their original position... well, not very accurate for measuring

resistance. The Bowflex was made for the consumer market... that is - the consumer who is

looking for the fabled "unicorn" of fitness equipment. I'm gonna tell you that it doesn't exist.

There is no perfect system, least of all the Bowflex.

Nobody ever got big using this system... but they sure do advertise with a buff speciman in their

commercials. If you're looking for good resistance, two of the best exercises you can find today

are right out there in front of your eyes - swimming, and a rowing machine.

Swimming is a great exercise, fun, and if you're working hard - it can cool you off instantly .. lol!

Rowing machines may not be as popular as the treadmill or elliptical crosstrainers but don't let that

fool you! The rowing machine is a full body workout - legs, back, arms, chest, and most of all, the heart.

Try researching online. I found a really great line of rowing machines from a German manufacturer - Kettler.

They have distribution throughout the U.S. and directly in Canada. I visited www.kettlercanada.com and was

given a telephone number for a retailer in my location of Toronto. Let me tell you that I was impressed.

I bought my Kettler Coach rowing machine, and have not looked back... or is that forward when I'm rowing ... hehe

Good ideas from good quality engineered products. Believe me... there is alot of junk out there, so take

your time and find something that is both financially feasible, and will be good for you in the long term.

Remember the saying - "You get what you pay for!"

;)

Thanks for replying. That thread is a bit dated. If you overlooked the others I've posted...

The BowFlex didn't work out (no pun intended) for me.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34658

I ultimately found a decent and inexpensive cage system that I am still using.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=42169