CBR1100XX.org Forum

Flushing the clutch

dissolvedego

The clutch fluid is amber, and now that the weather is getting nice I want to flush it out before I really start riding again.

Is there anything I should know before I attempt it? I have a basic brake flushing system (tube with one-way check valve).

My understanding is that I need to:

1) pump the clutch several times and hold it in before letting any fluid out

2) loosen the screw until fluid enters the tube

3) tighten the nut before releasing the clutch and repeat steps 1-3 until the fluid passes the valve

4) pump the clutch to drain the fluid while filling the reservoir to make sure no air gets in.

Does that sound about right?

The clutch fluid is amber, and now that the weather is getting nice I want to flush it out before I really start riding again.

Is there anything I should know before I attempt it? I have a basic brake flushing system (tube with one-way check valve).

My understanding is that I need to:

1) pump the clutch several times and hold it in before letting any fluid out

2) loosen the screw until fluid enters the tube

3) tighten the nut before releasing the clutch and repeat steps 1-3 until the fluid passes the valve

4) pump the clutch to drain the fluid while filling the reservoir to make sure no air gets in.

Does that sound about right?

Yep sounds right to me.

*smacks forehead*

I just realized the reason my search was unsuccessful was that i searched "flush" instead of "bleed". oopsies.

Step one should be remove all the old fluid from the res. and fill with fresh fluid.

:icon_think: you mean use something to suck it out of the top? is that really necessary?

*smacks forehead*

I just realized the reason my search was unsuccessful was that i searched "flush" instead of "bleed". oopsies.

Step one should be remove all the old fluid from the res. and fill with fresh fluid.

:icon_think: you mean use something to suck it out of the top? is that really necessary?

No, but it makes the job go alot faster :icon_biggrin:

If you do this, first wrap a zip tie around the grip and brake lever with the lever activated so you don't allow air in the system.

I just run the reservoir stuff through the system it's no dirtier than whats in the system.

As long as you keep a clear tube on the nipple with a loop higher than the nipple you can find a perfect setting of the bleeder that allows you to just pump the lever and the fluid will keep flowing out. (I know, run on sentence, it's early)

I made a poor mans My T vac when I replace my Magna's slave clutch.

Found a empty pump spray bottle, (409), and slid the clear bleed hose I was going to use over the sprayer pickup. I just sprayed the brake fluid into a jar. Wife was adding at the reservoir as I bled the system.

Worked much faster than pump the clutch handle and release the petcock.

*smacks forehead*

YES, there is usually some slimey junk in the resivor!

ok the rain finally stop for a minute so i did it today. i ran into a couple complications.

first, the clamp that came with the brake bleeding tube was fucking impossible to get all the way around the bleed valve. 20 minutes just trying to get that damn thing on, and the best i could do was to get it partially on. it became apparent that this was the best it was going to get without some kind of special tool.

so, while bleeding the clutch i noticed little air bubbles running through the tube. it's hard to tell if they were coming from the clutch line or the opening of the tube where the clamp wasn't quite on, but there were tiny air bubbles going through the tube from beginning to end.

aside from that (which was a bit disturbing), i finished up and rode around for a while. the clutch operates as it should, and if anything feels more smooth than it did before.

if there were significant air bubbles in the system, what difference would it make exactly? would it effect the functioning of the clutch?