CBR1100XX.org Forum

Scratches in clear coat

Moriartii

I need some help getting some scratches out of the clear coat on the bird. I had a lower cowl repainted/cleared two months ago. When they did it they got build up along the edge of the cowl. I came back with 1000 grit and took the edging down and cleaned some of the trash out of the clear (wet/color sanded it). That left swirls and light scratches in the coat. Here is what I did next:

Used Meguires Scratch X

Used Mothers Billet polish -tip from the forum

Used Novus scratch remover product

Used Meguires Paint cleaner light scratch remover

Used Meguires Polish

Used Meguires Caruba wax

Looks shiney and pretty but still swirly. I know just enough about clear and paints to know I didnt cut that deep into the clear to worry. What I want to achieve is the look of the rest of the cowl that the painters did with the buffer minus the buffer. I have thought about getting the PC7424 but I dont know how to run a buffer so am hesitant and it is a small area, vertical strip on cowl by the engine.

Thoughts suggestions, help?

Thank you

Kinley

If area is not too big you could try to fix it without buffer,but is not easy.

There are different products for "fresh" paint and when restoring old,tired one.

You would have to use finer paper then 1000 as a next step,I believe they go all the way to 4000.

You should use them in steps,1000.then 1500,2000,etc.Finer the last wet sand the better,next steps will go easier.

After wet sanding rubbing compound would be next,I`m familiar with 3M Perfect-It III line,they are excellent but not inexpensive.Ther will be some swirl marks left after this step-enter swirl mark remover from Perfect-It III line.

You could use some hand glaze as a final step,but many paint makes do not recommend waxing for first couple of mounts.

Paint finishing products work as a system,have to be used in steps,you can`t just throw various polishers,swirl removers,plastic cleaners,etc at random order and expect good result

But honestly,unless it is really small panel you won`t do quality job without buffer,there has to be some heat generated,you need different pads for each step,etc ,$$$.

BTW there is a risk of "burning " a fresh paint.

Unless you plan on doing more of that in the future,let pros do it.

I'd buy the PC regardless. Got mine at Lowe's for about $109 as I recall. There it is numbered 7336 but from understanding it's the same machine 7424. They are a whole lot easier to use than the rotary buffers. I mean a LOT easier. Once you have used one---you will never wax a car by hand. Unlike a rotary---it will leave no swirls.

Also---there are online sites where guys take their detailing very seriously and are willing to share information on how to and what products they are using. You have a bunch of Mequires produts already so I would stick with their system until you research and find you want to try something else.

I have used the 3M line mentioned in the above post---it is very good stuff. So is the Mequires but it doesn't seem to stay as glossy for as long. Tiffin' I were you---rather than put money in different product---I would invest in the buffer from whomever, and the get the backing plate and/or pads from Mequirs. And some good quality hand buffing material----quality microfiber, baby diapers. And do it---the results, if done right will spoil you.

Check out these sites for info & some supplies---I have done business with all of them---good folks all.

www.autopia-carcare.com www.mequiars.com www.premiumautocare.com www.detailcity.com

Best of luck----------happy trails kel

You probably already know this, but be VERY careful with the sharp corner contours whether working by hand or with a buffer. It is really easy to go through the finish on the corners and creases while you are concentrating on the adjacent larger surfaces.

I have to put my .02 in here.

First of all the #7424 is an orbital buffer hence safe to use without leaving swirls, that is as long as your pads are clean and free of any girt particles. An orbital does not generate enough heat to "burn" the finish as a rotary or high speed will do very quickly. You are safe using an orbital.

The company I have worked for 12 years now sells over a dozen of the 7424's weekly to the Car Wash and Detail Industry. It is a very nice unit. The big difference in your results is determined by the pads you use on the 7424. Make sure you use a clean "Finishing" pad. The pads are machine washable if you get quality pads. In your case I would recomend using a Micro-Fiber bonnet over top of a finishing pad. No chance of adding any swirl marks in the worst case and microfiber is the best item available for leaving a flawless finish.

Don't let marketing campaign's determine what products you buy. The biggest names such as 3M or Meguires will give no better results than many off brand names, that it looks like you have already found out for yourself. The real trick is in patience, perseverence, right tool and clean pads and bonnets. Did I say how important clean pads and bonnets are ?? Most bonnets are reversible also. If you need them I have plenty of micro-fiber bonnets to fit the 7424 that I own myself. Can mail a few out to you if you need them.

Sounds to me that sanding and/or componds are way overkill for your needs. A decent swirl remover or finishing product that you already have will work just fine when used lightly with the proper tool will fix your Bird right up to look like new.

I create and publish a 60 page Professional Detailers catalog every 2 years for Sonny's, The Car Wash Fatory. My department buys and sells over 3/4 million dollars yearly in Detail products. We dropped the Meguires line of products last year due to costs and not agreeing with their strategy in marketing at a corporate level.

Pick up a 7424 and a few pads if you can afford it. It is a very useful tool that will be used on all your vehicles as well as the Bird. It will produce an awesome finish with minimal effort. I will provide you good quality washable/reverseable micro-fiber bonnets to use, free-be's. I get samples from overseas suppliers trying to convince me to buy their bonnets. I buy whole containers of Micro-Fiber direct from the manufacture in Korea every quarter.

Do it yourself ! With a little patience and effort there will be a big grin on your face and the satisfaction, knowing you did it yourself.