CBR1100XX.org Forum

how the hell do i get the triple clamp off

Mitch_1100xx

guys this is buggin the hell outta me, i wanna polish it and i go to take it off and not only did i almost knock the bike over, i broke the tool.

Sounds pretty painful. :icon_eek:

what gives. how do you get this thing off

Simple. :icon_love:

:icon_razz:

Do you have a manual?

Not sure what part of it has got you stuck?

The stem nut takes a 12mm allen, the bars and fork clamps take a 6mm. What's the extension for?.....and why is it necessary to crank hard enough to break?

I've never had any reason to remove just the top tree. It's always involved removing the entire front end.

don't waste your time loosening bolts and screws! do this the effective way!

take one of these:

IPB Image

shove it under the lip of the triple and just go crazy. the tank makes a great leverage point. don't worry about chipping the paint, i have it on good authority that honda made your tank out of unobtanium metal that doesn't bend or flex.

if that doesn't work, turn the bars all the way in either direction and use the upper fairing for the fulcrum. those things are like iron- they aren't going anyplace.

if neither of those work, put the bike on the center stand, stand on the gas-tank and wrap your fingers around the lip of the top triple. yank until you hear or see something snap or give. if it was the triple, you're done. if it was you, then you'll have more important issues to worry about.

don't waste your time loosening bolts and screws! do this the effective way!

take one of these:

IPB Image

shove it under the lip of the triple and just go crazy. the tank makes a great leverage point. don't worry about chipping the paint, i have it on good authority that honda made your tank out of unobtanium metal that doesn't bend or flex.

if that doesn't work, turn the bars all the way in either direction and use the upper fairing for the fulcrum. those things are like iron- they aren't going anyplace.

if neither of those work, put the bike on the center stand, stand on the gas-tank and wrap your fingers around the lip of the top triple. yank until you hear or see something snap or give. if it was the triple, you're done. if it was you, then you'll have more important issues to worry about.

So YOU"RE THE ONE who gave N1K advice on changing oil and telling how much torque is 'about right' last year! :icon_lol: :icon_clap:

the best advice i ever heard regarding torque came from swampnut:

someone asked what x# of footpounds 'felt' like.

his advice: "tighten it until it strips, then back off a quarter-turn."

that phrase should be printed in every shop manual printed from this point forward.

yea it was the center nut and i was using (so i thought) a pretty sturdy rod to get leverage. so the middle is a 12mm allen........... ok thats good to know, thanx guys im gunna go get a fukin massive rod and a 12 MM and lots of...........................lube?? hahah in break this bitch loose.

yea it was the center nut and i was using (so i thought) a pretty sturdy rod to get leverage. so the middle is a 12mm allen........... ok thats good to know, thanx guys im gunna go get a fukin massive rod and a 12 MM and lots of...........................lube?? hahah in break this bitch loose.

No offense, but IMHO you shouldn't be working on your front end without gaining more knowlege, correct tools, and a manual. That nut needs to be tourqed to 76 ft. lbs. which is why you are not getting it off with an allen wrench.

You'll be wanting a 1/2 drive breaker bar.

Also that top clamp is the last thing I'd polish to a mirror finish. It's at the perfect angle to blind you while riding.

No offense, but IMHO you shouldn't be working on your front end without gaining more knowlege, correct tools, and a manual. That nut needs to be tourqed to 76 ft. lbs. which is why you are not getting it off with an allen wrench.

You'll be wanting a 1/2 drive breaker bar.

Also that top clamp is the last thing I'd polish to a mirror finish. It's at the perfect angle to blind you while riding.

yea i know it has to be torqued to 76 lbs, which is no issue at all, cuz i have a torque wrench which will do that. all im saying is the there is no way in hell it is torqued to 76lbs. i can bench 200 (which really isnt related, but it shows im not quite a scrawny weak ass lol) and i cant budge this or break it loose with an extender on the key.

the reason why i am asking how do get it off is cuz i have read into it and even grabbed the shop manual and read that and no matter how hard i try the mother aint budging, and i know buddies with hondas have had the same issue.

Spray the nut with some kind of penetrating oil, and let it soak. Tap around and on the nut with a soft face mallet (wood, plastic, etc. type head), and spray it some more, and let it soak some more. Just because a fastener is torqued to a certain level doesn't mean the breakaway torque will be at or close to the same level. With corrosion or thread galling, it could be considerably higher.

Spray the nut with some kind of penetrating oil, and let it soak. Tap around and on the nut with a soft face mallet (wood, plastic, etc. type head), and spray it some more, and let it soak some more. Just because a fastener is torqued to a certain level doesn't mean the breakaway torque will be at or close to the same level. With corrosion or thread galling, it could be considerably higher.

yea i just did that so im gunna see if i can get it off later tonight. thanx guys.

yea i just did that so im gunna see if i can get it off later tonight. thanx guys.

Have you tried heating it up with one of those propane torches until it glows red hot, it should come right off!