CBR1100XX.org Forum

Someting loose in the front end

Obby

Congrats on getting it apart and diagnosed, Steve. I'm glad you caught it when you did and it didn't cause any bodily harm.

Feels good to have accomplished it yourself, huh?

If you don't have a torque wrench buy one or borrow one. I'm 99.9% sure that muscling it is what caused the failure.

It failed before I cranked it down. I just retighten all the bolts. I'm with ya though. I'm heading down to harbor freight to pick one up before reassembly. I really need to up my tools a bit. Saves money in the long run.

...and yep, feels great to be back under the wrench again :icon_wink: . God help my poor bird now.

Check the axle itself for signs of the left inner race spinning on the axle and scoring or gauling it. If it did and got hot in the process, you wouldn't want the axle to be the next thing to break due to metal fatigue.

How many miles did it have on it??

Check the axle itself for signs of the left inner race spinning on the axle and scoring or gauling it. If it did and got hot in the process, you wouldn't want the axle to be the next thing to break due to metal fatigue.

How many miles did it have on it??

I did visually inspect it. No signs of wear that were visible. It was also well lubed (just had a new tire put on 5k ago by them. Good point though. Even a little wear can bring up issues again. Maybe I can get the stealer check it for me. Or, pick up a micrometer while I'm getting a torque wrench.

Guess I gotta chill out on all those stoppies. They're beating the hell out of my front end (jk).

PS... bird has 45k on her.

Oh yeah it's the bearings alrighty. The left one was completely disintegrated as you said. From what I could tell, they are supposed to be sealed bearings. The right one spins fine and is still sealed, I could barely turn the left one at all. When I did, metal came out .

The stealer has my wheel and is going to have to order the parts. I just let them replace everything in there (dust seals, both bearings and inner sleeve). Total wasn't too bad, estimated at $130 bucks since I took the wheel of for them.

Dayum!!! Stealers SUCK!!!!!! Bearing and seal kit probably costs them under 20 bucks. It's about a 10 minute job to replace 'em (you did all the hard work for them already). Finding this thread a little late but you coulda just tapped the old bearings out from behind with a punch. The new bearings get tapped in with a rubber mallet and a socket the same diameter as the outside of the bearing. ...cake! sorry I didn't chime in sooner. :icon_sad:

Obby, now it's a good opportunity to change fork oil as well.

The only tricky part is to untighten the fork caps (with the bike sitting on one wheel and car jack).

Oh,...... and your bicycles tires are CUPPED :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Is there any maintenance that needs to be done to the bearings to insure long life?

Not really. Most have seals to keep the grease in and the dirt out. If you remove the seals to regrease them you will probably do more harm than good. They are cheap to replace (if you do it yourself) so don't worry about them. Most failures are from the seals failing first. Keep pressure cleaners away from them and they usually are fine. Don't ask how I know this. :icon_sad:

Is there any maintenance that needs to be done to the bearings to insure long life?

Not really. Most have seals to keep the grease in and the dirt out. If you remove the seals to regrease them you will probably do more harm than good. They are cheap to replace (if you do it yourself) so don't worry about them. Most failures are from the seals failing first. Keep pressure cleaners away from them and they usually are fine. Don't ask how I know this. :icon_sad:

Thnks for the reply :icon_thumbsup:

Dayum!!! Stealers SUCK!!!!!! Bearing and seal kit probably costs them under 20 bucks. It's about a 10 minute job to replace 'em (you did all the hard work for them already). Finding this thread a little late but you coulda just tapped the old bearings out from behind with a punch. The new bearings get tapped in with a rubber mallet and a socket the same diameter as the outside of the bearing. ...cake! sorry I didn't chime in sooner. :icon_sad:

I wasn't going to say that having not done wheel bearings (yet) but I figured you can do them the same as I did my steering head bearings.

Use the old bearings to tap in the new, perfectly the right diameter.

Oh yeah it's the bearings alrighty. The left one was completely disintegrated as you said. From what I could tell, they are supposed to be sealed bearings. The right one spins fine and is still sealed, I could barely turn the left one at all. When I did, metal came out .

The stealer has my wheel and is going to have to order the parts. I just let them replace everything in there (dust seals, both bearings and inner sleeve). Total wasn't too bad, estimated at $130 bucks since I took the wheel of for them.

:icon_wall: . They told me it was an hour job!!! 90 bucks an hour here at my stealers. The parts are cheap.

She's Back in Black, her wheels back, fast on the track... You don't eeeven wanta to fool with this cat. Yeah... Back in Black... fast on the track, just stay back, or she's just run you down in no time flat!

Something like that :icon_rolleyes: ...

While she's was having her wheel bearing repaired, I decide to replace her front fender back to the black stocker and change out the windscreen with one of my many black others.

[attachmentid=381]

[attachmentid=383]

post-147-1143172540_thumb.jpg

post-147-1143172898_thumb.jpg