CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front turn signals are very dim - anyone got a solution?

brianmacza

My front turn signals are quite dim - at night it isn't a problem but during the day you need to look twice to make sure they work. The rear signals are bright enough, but they are liddle aftermarket fake carbon fiber jobbies (were on the XX when I got her) that I'd like to replace at some point anyway.

My worry is that some dumb semi-blind geriatric is gonna take me out in the middle of an intersection.

Any ideas?

Let me guess, they flash very quickly too since you swapped out the rear signals too ?

Replace the flasher unit with an electronic one and it will normalize the flash rate. Ask John01XX where to get one.

Let me guess, they flash very quickly too since you swapped out the rear signals too ?

Replace the flasher unit with an eletronic one and it will normalize the flash rate. Ask John01XX where to get one.

tHe flash cadence seems about right... the bike came with fugly aftermarket rear signals...

the front ones are just too darn dull - in bright sunlight its almost impossible to see them.

I'm gonna clean the contacts anyways and see if I can get a higher rating bulb... perhaps that may make a difference.

Tx guys :icon_cool:

If they are not bright enough, there is only two possibilities.......either the bulbs are not the correct voltage (extremely unlikely) or there is not enough voltage to the bulb. That opens up several possibilities.......dirty connectors, bad ground, etc.

My front turn signals are quite dim

Are you sure somone didnt get the clear signals and put those dumbass chrome coated bulbs in that came with them in? If you have yellow lenses, put in clear bulbs. If you have clear lenses, put in yellow bulbs(or the Silverstars).

For rear signals, try these, they are bright as hell because they actually have a reflector in them and are DOT approved to boot! DOT signals

Are you sure somone didnt get the clear signals and put those dumbass chrome coated bulbs in that came with them in? If you have yellow lenses, put in clear bulbs. If you have clear lenses, put in yellow bulbs(or the Silverstars).

:icon_shifty:

But the chrome bulbs look better :icon_lol:

Just another possibility...

Are your running lights very bright, but the flashers aren't?

Pull the signals out and switch the wires around... The running light is probably being used as the signal, and the signal is probably being used as the running light... Just switch the 2 that aren't Ground...

Mike

For the first time I looked at my front signals in direct sunlight due to this post and they are kind of hard to see. :icon_confused:

I'm all factory origional lenses, bulbs, etc. BTW.

Since the bulb is in there at an angle, LED won't work. Does anyone make a brighter 1157 bulb?

For the first time I looked at my front signals in direct sunlight due to this post and they are kind of hard to see. :icon_confused:

Since the bulb is in there at an angle, LED won't work. Does anyone make a brighter 1157 bulb?

I could have sworn I saw some funky shaped LED 1157 bulbs that would work in that application. Instead of the lights being straight out on the end, and pointing into the mirror housing, they have an L shape to them that points the LED out of the turn signal lense. I'll have to look around and see if I can find that bulb, I forgot where I saw it.

I could have sworn I saw some funky shaped LED 1157 bulbs that would work in that application. Instead of the lights being straight out on the end, and pointing into the mirror housing, they have an L shape to them that points the LED out of the turn signal lense. I'll have to look around and see if I can find that bulb, I forgot where I saw it.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

scroll down a ways to find 90 degree

LED's are very directional sensitive. in the front the bulbs come in at a 45 degree angle so straight and 90 degrees won't work.

I'm still thinking of getting those ones for the rear, but then I'll have to get an electronic flasher and butcher up my wiring harness.

Guest rockmeupto125

Can you pick up halogen 1157 bulbs at auto parts stores Joe?

If so I'll get 2 today.

A better stocked store than the ones around would probably have them, or be able to fetch pretty quickly.

I'd check NAPA...I've been surprised there. But I can't find an online catalog.

I ordered mine off the web, and the only place that I saved the info is on my crashed hard drive from my old pooter. Do a search, they're out there.

Guest rockmeupto125

I can't find the person I bought these from.

A quick check of the local autoparts stores revealed nothing they could order.

Here's a web page that you might find interesting.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tec...ticles/halogen/

I did find the bulbs on www.truckaddons.com

They are 1157 Halogen 50/15 watt bulbs. There are 30/12's and 30/8's out there....not as bright.

I have my running lights turned off. I used the 1157's rather than the 1156's because I didn't want to alter my socket. Hope this helps. If I find more links, I'll post them.

I called around in Harrisburg and they never even heard of halogen 1157 bulbs.

How new are they?

I got em on order here:

http://www.autobarn.net/supbrighal11.html

Pricey at $28 delivered for 2 but worth it to me.

That combined with my signal relay, 2 rear LED signals and 2 H7 bulbs has me over $110 in upgraded lighting. :icon_eek:

Guest rockmeupto125

Pete....the Autobarn bulbs are 30 watt bulbs, not 50.

They're scarce but not that scarce. I got mine before SEXXT of '04, when I painted the bike and Rickrad darkened the lenses.

Pete....the Autobarn bulbs are 30 watt bulbs, not 50.

They're scarce but not that scarce. I got mine before SEXXT of '04, when I painted the bike and Rickrad darkened the lenses.

Darn. Oh well, should be a big improvement, I'm not shining them through a darkened lens.

• 1 month later...
Guest rockmeupto125

I finally found my invoice for these.

# 39097---12 volt 1157 dual contact halogen 55/10 bulbs.

$15/pair from www.taillightking.com

Fast service, cheap shipping...unlike a lot of other places that stick it up your butt for putting tape and an address on a box.

Guest rockmeupto125

For turn signals? Not a chance.

First, anything larger than a standard 1157 bulb prolly won't fit though the hole in the houseing. Secondly, the bulb sits horizontally in the housing, so unless your LED light projects from the side, you won't see diddly from those lights......