CBR1100XX.org Forum

Powerlet.

Red J

I ordered a few female receptacles for the blackbird, and am now deciding where to install.

Powerlet:

IMG_3135.jpg

Powerlet with male plug:

IMG_3136.jpg

I'm wanting to use one for powering my tankbag or for general use while moving, which I've all but decided to put in the left panel flanking the tank.

IMG_1361.jpg

The other one, which would be for heated gear, is more troubling. I've got a chain oiler control which is in the left side kick panel. I had thought of putting the powerlet there and moving the flow adjuster up a bit, but with the hinged door of the powerlet, single handed operation may not be too easy.

IMG_3131.jpg

The other option is to place it near the pillion's left foot peg, but I'm not hot on the idea of having to reach back there to fiddle with it. Being a powerlet, it's pretty secure, but there's always the chance that you'll have to replug it while moving and it may not be easy to stop to fiddle with it.

A third option is to put it by the other one, on the left panel adjacent the tank. Easy to see, easy to access, but it's further forward than ideal for heated gear. I could just install one for now and try it with heat (my tankbag isn't wired as of yet) and see how it works.

Thoughts? Maybe I'm overthinking this. I just don't wanna drill holes everywhere, and I'd like to get it right the first time.

I may do the same thing. I agree, the left panel is a good choice.

My .02 cents

Personally I'd put it on the right....

I've got my controls for my heated grips ont he left, and going to put the remote volume control for my amp on the left too so it's easier to adjust on the fly...

Well I cringed thinking of drilling into the plastic. So I looked a Service Honda to find the cheapest to replace panel. I picked the left side panel next to the gas tank. I find I can reach down and connect the powerlet without looking at it. I did get a right angle connector for the wire coming out of my Gerbings. That way the cable routes closer to the tank. My heat-troller knob is farther fwd on the same panel.

I posted a couple of pictures back in Sept. Here is a link:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...topic=24967&hl=

This is a picture of the straight connector I was using. There is a bit of room just under the gas tank in this location.

powerletconnected.jpg

Jeff

J,

A question or two for you about all this.

First off, the outlet you selected looks top notch in terms of quality. Good choice in selection.

What is the amperage rating of this peice? Instead of swiss cheesing your bike with multiple holes for outlets, why not make a short H/D harness that will plug into the single outlet and split out with multiple female outlets? You could tuck them away into your tank bag, and even possibly mount one of the female recepticles onto the bag itself to plug in any heated appareal(sp?) or other accesories. I would think that by going this route, it wouldn't impeede your ability to reach anything and it would be convient to getting on and off the bike. What do you think of this?

Personally I'd put it on the right....

I've got my controls for my heated grips on the left, and going to put the remote volume control for my amp on the left too so it's easier to adjust on the fly...

Such is the reason I want it on the left. If I have to fiddle with anything, I'd rather it be on the left. My harness plugs into the vest on the left as well, I'm not sure how I'd like it crossing over in my lap, I ride fairly close to the tank, esp. in winter. Plus, I've already punched a hole in the left side for the grip heat-troller, so I'm inclined to just put another hole in that one.

Well I cringed thinking of drilling into the plastic. So I looked a Service Honda to find the cheapest to replace panel. I picked the left side panel next to the gas tank. I find I can reach down and connect the powerlet without looking at it. I did get a right angle connector for the wire coming out of my Gerbings. That way the cable routes closer to the tank. My heat-troller knob is farther fwd on the same panel.

[snip]

I saw your post in that earlier thread, and wanted to expand on it. Thanks for your post and photo here.

This location may work for me, but my other bike I had figured on using a straight cable, I may need to look at it and see if I can go with a right-angle connector there. If I can, this may work well for me. I also plan on wiring a master switch for this circuit eventually, doing away with the switch in the wire.

First off, the outlet you selected looks top notch in terms of quality. Good choice in selection.

What is the amperage rating of this peice? Instead of swiss cheesing your bike with multiple holes for outlets, why not make a short H/D harness that will plug into the single outlet and split out with multiple female outlets? You could tuck them away into your tank bag, and even possibly mount one of the female recepticles onto the bag itself to plug in any heated appareal(sp?) or other accesories. I would think that by going this route, it wouldn't impeede your ability to reach anything and it would be convient to getting on and off the bike. What do you think of this?

They do look very robust, I'm pleased with them just sitting in my hand.

The amperage rating is 16A @ 12VDC.

My Widder setup is 55w (35 vest + 20 gloves) (so, 5A)

My tankbag is going to have cellphone charger, iPod power (probably 2.5A fused circuit)

Not sure what else, but this would leave me with surplus power.

I had not thought of this, but it certainly has merit, thanks for the idea. The main issue is that I don't run just one tankbag, but for powered application, I suppose I could do that.

---

Thanks guys, some good ideas here.

J,

It's a good thought, but most of the multi port adapters don't fit very well. If you could find one that fits securely it may work.

I like the idea of mounting in the plastic by the tank.

J,

It's a good thought, but most of the multi port adapters don't fit very well. If you could find one that fits securely it may work.

I like the idea of mounting in the plastic by the tank.

I agree with what you are saying about the multi-adaptors. They are shit no doubt. I was more or less suggesting that J mounts a small plate to the side of his tank bag ( from the inside ) with small pop rivits and washers, but only cut the nylon to accomadate the two outlets. Then the outlets which should be slightly shouldered will also assist in holding the nylon to the plate was well. Feed those two with some 12ga fine stranded wire, fused with a 20 amp fuse though a relay. Tap off the battery directly and use a tail light running light as a trigger signal and yer set.

At least I would try doing it that way.

$.02

I will try it his way, and I'll tell ya why:

Because it don't cost nothin', and I can change it later if'n I want to.

I'll eventually disassemble and hardwire cigar lighter sockets in the tankbag for cellphone and iPod and whatever else. I really don't have much power requirements on the road, heat being the big one, and that's the one that's been failing and pissing me off. I'll probably cut up one of my surplus Widder sockets and affix that to the bag in the fashion that wacko suggests. If it don't work, I'm not out anything but my time. If the reliability sucks, I'll change it. The main thing I can't do now, is plug the vest back in with the pigtail flapping in the wind and the other pigtail (bike) hard to get at. Moving the bike pigtail to the tankbag will resolve that, I think.

I'll post pics.

J.

J. I roll with mine like this...

One of these mounted on the tank bag:

ptb.jpg

Hooked up to one of these from the outside, mine is the 18 inch long model:

pac011.jpg

Well actually mine is the vertical one, but I'll be buying one of these.

Running one of these on the inside:

pac030.jpg

Or other variations with one cigarette style one powerlet style, or one cigarette and one BMW style plug, etc.

When you're not using it, it closes up like so:

ptb_diagram.jpg

My rig looks sorta like this:

calitrip3.jpg

You can see the cable running from my bag to the bike. With the verticle mount cable I get just a hint of the clutch lever touching the plug at full lock, but since I don't go full lock ever when riding, it doesn't pose a problem. now with that cool ass horizontal mount cable, even that would go away. I run my GPS and radar power connectors in the bag, can add other connections for my phone charger if needed, or change out the inner cable for one with powerlet style connectors on it to run heated gear from my tank bag. I can also use the outer cable to connect to my battery tender when she's stuck in the garage for long periods of time. Works out well. The cables you see in the picture running from me to the bike are for the radar audio connection and my Creative Zen 40 GB music keg (which I can also power in the bag) which run from my ChatterBox to the tank bag. I'm probably going to get the long single cable and toss the ChatterBox in the bag too and just run the one cable down my jacket and out the bottom to connect to the tank bag as well. That is my touring rig, reserved spending all day on the highways and byways on the way to somewhere. Of course I dispense with all the gadgetry on the local shit. That pic was taken about 10 minutes before I left Chicago headed for California with my buddy Derick (in the background).

J. I roll with mine like this...

You can see the cable running from my bag to the bike. With the verticle mount cable I get just a hint of the clutch lever touching the plug at full lock, but since I don't go full lock ever when riding, it doesn't pose a problem. now with that cool ass horizontal mount cable, even that would go away. I run my GPS and radar power connectors in the bag, can add other connections for my phone charger if needed, or change out the inner cable for one with powerlet style connectors on it to run heated gear from my tank bag. I can also use the outer cable to connect to my battery tender when she's stuck in the garage for long periods of time. Works out well. The cables you see in the picture running from me to the bike are for the radar audio connection and my Creative Zen 40 GB music keg (which I can also power in the bag) which run from my ChatterBox to the tank bag. I'm probably going to get the long single cable and toss the ChatterBox in the bag too and just run the one cable down my jacket and out the bottom to connect to the tank bag as well. That is my touring rig, reserved spending all day on the highways and byways on the way to somewhere. Of course I dispense with all the gadgetry on the local shit. That pic was taken about 10 minutes before I left Chicago headed for California with my buddy Derick (in the background).

Squareman

I also use the chatterbox with my MP3 player. What are you using to hook up your Radar Detector? :icon_think: I have tried using a spliiter, but I do not think it work very well. Cool idea on the plugs. Right now I made a nice aluminum plate and mounted a cigarette lighter style plug next to the key switch. I use it to plug in whatever I neet to power up or charge while I am on a trip. I may be adding some similar plugs in the future.

Squareman

I also use the chatterbox with my MP3 player. What are you using to hook up your Radar Detector? :icon_think: I have tried using a spliiter, but I do not think it work very well. Cool idea on the plugs. Right now I made a nice aluminum plate and mounted a cigarette lighter style plug next to the key switch. I use it to plug in whatever I neet to power up or charge while I am on a trip. I may be adding some similar plugs in the future.

Right now I'm running a line from the audio output jack from my V1 to the auxilliary input on the Chatterbox. It works ok, but I am thinking about either a screamer or one of those red LEDs that goes in your helmet. Trying to lessen the wires running everywhere when I am touring, though it isn't too bad.

Squareman

Right now I'm running a line from the audio output jack from my V1 to the auxilliary input on the Chatterbox. It works ok, but I am thinking about either a screamer or one of those red LEDs that goes in your helmet. Trying to lessen the wires running everywhere when I am touring, though it isn't too bad.

I have the HARD system, and I think it works pretty good. I'd had problems with intermittent non-operation, but it turns out the batteries were shot, haven't run it much since, but seems to be solid. I have a used starcom to try out, thinking of multiplexing all audio plus cellular into that, and running Etymotics.

I like your power setup, I've ordered a tankbag with a provision for wiring, although it's not a bulkhead fitting like yours. I may snag something like that for the KTM.