CBR1100XX.org Forum

Frame mounted sliders --

exskibum

I'm on a roll tonight . . . spending money and asking questions.

I've got a pair of Motovation race sliders that mount to the frame -- using a motor mount bolt. And of course, a hole needs to be cut in the right and left lower fairing panels so that the sliders stick through.

What is the easiest way to locate the hole and cut it? I'm assuming that I can find the proper sized hole cut saw for a drill motor, but that still leaves me having to accurately locate the center of that hole right over the center of the motor mount bolt. Dreams of mishapen and/or off center holes dance in my mind. I'm sure the pros have a way to get it right every time. What is it?

TIA,

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm told if you take a bolt the same thread and remove the head, sharpen it and install it in the hole used for mounting the slider.

You can put the fairing on and it will leave the exact center of the hole to be drilled...

Sounds like it will work to me so unless I hear something better that's what I'll be doing this spring.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm told if you take a bolt the same thread and remove the head, sharpen it and install it in the hole used for mounting the slider.

You can put the fairing on and it will leave the exact center of the hole to be drilled...

Sounds like it will work to me so unless I hear something better that's what I'll be doing this spring.

Hey, I like that. So that's why I have a grinder?

I heard a suggestion that you could take the fairing off and line up a laser on the bolt (e.g., I have a laser level), then reinstall the fairing and mark where the laser hits it. I figured that I'd probably end up moving something, or if I didn't get the laser lined up exactly on the axis of the center of the bolt, it'd hit the wrong spot on the fairing when it was reinstalled. Probably more reliable in the hands of a surveyor or engineer used to lining up such tools. I like your method much better. Thanks.

+1

Install the pointed bolt and install the plastic and then push on the plastic with palm to mark the exact drill point on the inside. Just be sure to drill the pilot hole from the inside and then reverse and drill the larger hole-saw hole from the outside with masking tape covering the skin to prevent a rough edge along the side of the hole. No measuring needed - quick and easy - perfect fit

I guess I'm low tech :(

I used a #2 pencil. Put the pencil in the bolt hole. Smeared some white-out on the eraser. Held the fairing up to the bike, pushed slightly, so the eraser hit the fairing foam. Pulled fairing off, and drilled a pilot hole where the white dot was. Then mounted fairing, used the proper hole saw with a pilot bit in the pilot hole, and it lined up perfect! No spaces.

stand1.jpg

I heard a suggestion that you could take the fairing off and line up a laser on the bolt (e.g., I have a laser level), then reinstall the fairing and mark where the laser hits it.

Heck, use a powerful enough laser and you won't need the drill! :D Sorry, I have nothing of value to add to the discussion. :P

-Keith