CBR1100XX.org Forum

Break-In Period/Tire Pressure

4U2NV

Hello!!!

I am new to this forum as I have just purchased a brand spanking new 2002 'Silver' Bird.

BREAK-IN PERIOD

The Owner's Manual Break-in Guidelines state:

'Help assure your motorcycle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 300 miles (500km). During this period, avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.'

Note: My salesman said not to exceed 7000 RPMs for the first 1000 miles?!

As you are aware, is extremely difficult to avoid rapid acceleration :cool: !!!

I have been told by my brother-in-law that I shouldn't baby it and break it in the way I will be riding it :twisted: . It shouldn't hurt anything if I 'get on it' a little during the break-in period, should it? What are your thoughts on the break-in period?

TIRE PRESSURE

Also the Owner's Manual suggests 42 psi front/rear. This tire pressure gives a rough ride. I have read in a post somewhere that it is safe to run 36 psi. Is that true?

Thanks!!!

I will not be responsible for how your bike is broken in, but I do not baby shit!! There is a URL floating around regarding break in that is pretty much just the opposite of what Owners manals say. It really comes down to you and how you feel about it. I do my break in in stages and by 1,000 miles, I am flogging it hard. My first 3 rides are no more then 10 miles (5 out, 5 back) then let it sit and cool completely (heat cycle), Repeat. I usually change the oil around 150-200 miles as there is usually a bunch of metal in the oil (just the oil, filter and oil at 500). After that, I try to keep it below 8,000 RPM's, but I do run it hard and keep it from a single speed for a long time. In addition, if I accelerate real hard, I will often downshift and let it unwind hard. Like I said, after 1,000 miles, giddy-up.

Tire Pressure: 34 Front/36 back (for everyday riding) 38 front/40 Rear when Touring.

Welcome and congratulations.

MaXX

i run 42 back and forth for a commute.

twisties only 36-38.

scrub in of new tires 36psi for 100k including twisties scrub.

i did notice that the first 5-6k of mileage on my new 2002 was harsher and then my fat ass seemed to break in the suspension and soften it up :shock:

Here is usefull information, www.mototuneusa.com

In reality it does not contradicts manual.

Welcome to break-in flaming wars :twisted: