CBR1100XX.org Forum

Water Heater Maintenance

bar10dah

So, for the first time since I moved in, I went to drain my water heater. Turned off the C/B. Turned off the water supply to the house. Connected a hose to the bottom of the tank. Opened the valve. All the water drained out. Closed the valve. Disconnected the hose. Turned the water supply to the house back on. Turned C/B back on. After about an hour, I turned on the hot water faucet. After sputtering for about a minute, the water came out nice and smooth... and cold! WTF?! Did I forget something? I checked the transformer in the water heater. It's getting 230VAC. So why isn't the heating element turning on? Did I forget something?

I read a few websites that had to do with maintaining a water heater. Not very helpful, as it doesn't go into any troubleshooting. But, I did read that I should have let the water heater fill up completely before turning on the power supply.

Okay, here's what I got.

L1 input power

L2 input power

L2/T1 not used

L4 connected to one terminal on both elements

T2 connected to a terminal on the top element

T4 connected to a terminal on the bottom element

top element had 230VAC

bottom element was 0VAC

Got curious and switched T2 with T4. Upon turning the C/B back on, the water heater fired up. Now I have 230VAC on the bottom element. I didn't hook up the top element, so I don't know for sure that one isn't working, but from testing the wiring block, I wasn't getting any voltage out of T4 anyways.

So, looks like power isn't getting to T4. What do I replace?

I wasn't getting voltage across L4-T4, so I thought it could be the thermostat. I replaced it and still have a problem.

I ohmed out the bottom element. Short.

I ohmed out the top element. Open.

Back to the store to return the thermostat and get an element...

A 240 volt element should draw about 17 amps. The easiest way to check your element is to:

Unplug the heater, do not trust the c/b to be marked correctly

Disconnect 1 wire from each element. The red/blue on the same thermostat pole leave connected.

Plug the heater back in and check for 110 across the element. An ohmmeter will give a false reading.

It sounds as though the upper element is bad, in which case you get no hot water. If the lower is bad you get a little hot water and run out quickly.

Thanks for the PM nickc2s (Steve) and the offer to help. But what I responded to you in PM got it fixed! :) It's good to know XX'ers are always here to help.

The Verdict

Okay, went back to the store. Since I saw 3500W on the side of the element, I bought another one ($8) that said 3500W on it. When I started to install it, I realized the new one said 2500W on it! Then I realized it says 2500W on one side and 3500W on the other. So I picked up the old one and it said 4500W/3500W. Doh! Back to the store.

Now, armed with my 4500W/3500W ($21!) element, I proceeded to install it. Powered up. Heard some low whining sound. Guess it's working. After about 20 mins, tried the hot water. Yep! :)

Now, next year when I go to drain the tank again, I know what NOT to do!

Next time just leave the water on, hook up the hose, and let it flow until it runs clear, the sludge builds up in the bottom of the tank, so no real need to drain it completely, unless you are winterizing the tank. I do this about once every 3 months. You may want to do it more or less depending on how hard the water is in your area.

• 3 weeks later...

Any suggestions on flushing the tank when the water heater has been neglected for multiple years? Heck, it looks like it's leaning, from the outer casing getting crumpled a little at some point.

I just suspect it's likely not been taken care of for at least the last 5-10 years..

Thanks for any ideas!