CBR1100XX.org Forum

Has anyone mounted Heli Bars on top of Genmar risers?

ccriderXX

I have been running Genmar risers. I just got some Heli Bars and have a question. Has anyone mounted Heli Bars on top of Genmar risers? I have searched and read many posts. I have seen that some have raised their Heli Bars a half inch. The Genmar risers are about .75". I have also read that some have put VFR bars on top of the Genmars.

When I place my Heli's next to the Genmar lifted stock bars, it looks like my only advantage is that the Heli's move the bars back and out a slight amount. The Genmars come with a short column of aluminum the same diameter as the fork, to put on top of the fork cap. The stock bars have the bolt clamping near the top of the fork.

What I am worried about if I try raising the Heli's this much is, that only the bottom clamp will be doing all the work. The top clamp would just clamp the Genmar aluminum piece which is basically floating above the fork cap. I am sure the bottom clamp is enough to keep the bar attached, but it isn't how they were designed to work.

Also I know I may be getting close to needing longer lines doing this.

Guest rockmeupto125

Oh, c'mon. There were stock bars on my '97 when you met me, and I was 3000 miles from home. Ride more.

You can take the stock bars up so far that one half of the inner service is exposed and they will hold tight.

With your proposal, you'll need longer lines, and a different windscreen.

The genmars do nothing but make it look good. (and provide the location pin).

Hope this helps..... :P

Joe,

Yes it did help some. I guess I learned "don't poke the bear" B)

I do understand the genmars are mostly cosmetic, but they were on the bike when I bought it. I just didn't realize how high my bars were already, and thought the Heli's would be an improvement. And yes I suspected I may need to replace the lines.

Also I have a ZG ST windshield. And acutally, I headed out to ride some more right now. :D

I agree with you that the stock bars raised can be comfortable. I have done a few 750 mile days and they seemed fine.

So can I take the Heli's up so half of the inner surface is exposed? (probably not)

I would say yes to both.

The only thing stopping you is the length of the lines and any full L&R lock interference with the windshield.

I've got my fork tubes raised 45mm over the top clamp (per Hyperpro instructions) and my VFR bars clamped onto the tubes only with only 1/2 of their clamping surface used.

I've still got my factory lines and cables.

At full left lock I've just got a little interference with my throttlelock and the windshield.

Guest rockmeupto125

Excellent....thanks for the picture.

Pete brings up a good point. On my 99, I have the triples dropped on the forks, which effectively raises the bars as well. Whatever you do, pay close attention to the stress on the throttle cables...finding your throttle not releasing when you expected after a tight turn may not be the most pleasant experience of your day....

Thanks guys. Your comments have helped.

Pete's comments and Bill's picture have made me more interested in VFR bars. Bill thanks for the picture. I have seen it here before but I didn't realize your VFR bars were on top of Genmar risers. I think I will keep an eye out for some VFR bars. I like how they attach like the stockers. And as many have said they look like stock. I may even get some longer lines.

And I will pay attention to the throttle cables. I don't even want to think about what would happen if they stuck.

Thanks,

Jeff

You could always get a set of Fork Caps from Jaws Motorcycles that he uses for his risers he sells. They actually replace the stock caps and leave the same space above the rising block as with the stock bars setup.

risers4.jpg....risers2.jpg