CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chains

bajjer9

Since I bought my xx I have used DID zvm 530 chain exclusively. I get about 15-20k on each one. Anyone getting better miles? what chain if so? I was wondering if the colored RK chains would stand up for a lot of miles?

I've currently got ~23k on my stock DID chain and it's in really good shape, but then I lube it every 2-300 miles with the Honda chain lube, and even though I ride all winter long in the rain and salt and sand here in Indiana, it's still going strong...

I've heard not-so-good things about RK chains from a longevity standpoint... Go to http://www.whitebuffaloracing.com/chainspecifications.htm and check out the chain specs... The wear index on the DID x-ring chain is 3700, whils RK's wear index for their W-ring chain is 1000... I've heard good things about EK chains, but have yet to find any good data on them...

Mike

The ZVM2 is the new design Top Chain by DID. I has an even better spec sheet than the previous ZVM.

The new ZVM2 comes in choice of Gold or regular black steel as before.

The #2 is just an improved version of the ZVM it replaced. hence more cost to us

ahh thanks for chiming in John!

Can anyone tell me if the stock 110 link chain is too short if I were to do a chain/sprocket replacement using a stock 45t rear and a 16t front? Also, what kind of longevity have you guys gotten out of the OEM rear sprocket? I tent to lube the chain every 400-500 miles, and clean it at every oil change (3K miles). At 14K miles, I'm just about at the "replace" markings on the swingarm, but at least the chain has no tight links and no excesive side play, and the rear sprocket doesn't show much if any in the line of hooking or heavy wear.

Can anyone tell me if the stock 110 link chain is too short if I were to do a chain/sprocket replacement using a stock 45t rear and a 16t front?

No, it won't be too short. You've gone dowm a tooth in front, so it will be a little long, not short. Not an issues beyond making your chain wear indicator usesless (which it already is, IMO) and lengthening wheelbase by a fraction of an inch.

Also, what kind of longevity have you guys gotten out of the OEM rear sprocket?

I got two chains, or about 41k, out of mine, an it still looked great when it came off.

From a seller name Locan on the Hayabusa Forum

Do you have a link for him or that forum?

I've been running an EK since the new motor (12K) with no issues other than an improperly installed master link.

Put it through hell so far, and very few adjustments.

Which EK are you running Chris? I think Forrest is using an EK too.

I don't know, but it was blue when I installed it :lol:

It's their superbike chain, or something like that. Probably doesn't mean anything, but my installation tool was useless when trying to peen the link. Even though I had used it successfully on a DID, it was distorting the tool trying to peen the EK, like the steel was that much harder.

Anyway, it seems to be a very strong chain.

I'm gonna get an EK-ZZZ. I have a Motion Pro chain tool and hope it will work on the new master. I see that EK has a spacer so you don't over-crimp the rivets. I wonder if their "no special tools" link will work with our chains.

I've been running an EK since the new motor (12K) with no issues other than an improperly installed master link.

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index....=profile;u=9160

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index....=profile;u=9160

You have to be a member to see that page... What chain at what price, etc??

Thanks,

Mike