CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fitting Ducatti St bags on the Bird

stewmg

Saw a post a few months ago, may have even been in the UK site where someone had put ST bags on a bird and they looked great. I was lucky enough to buy a set on ebay today (stole em) and wondered if any of you guys had tried this. Should just be a matter moving the exhaust down a bit and modifying the brackets. Any ideas?? The bags are super clean looking and should hold more than beetles. Thanks for your input...by the way we are still damn cold up here with about 12" of the white stuff.

Guest rockmeupto125

Quite some time ago, there was a writeup from a gentleman who did just that. Fuzzy memory is that he was in an asian country (Japan?), the bike was blue, and the writeup was on the Super Blackbird or IXXRA site. As I recall, it seemed to have been a lot of work.

But you've got a good place to start...you own the bags... :D

post-2025-1139542698_thumb.jpgpost-2025-1139542733_thumb.jpgpost-2025-1139542757_thumb.jpg

Could i see a pick of the bags ? Do you really have to lower your exhausts ? I built my own tubular racks for my givis so i have a little expereince in this area , so i might have some ideas if you have some pics.

Thanks

Herb.

Thanks for the offer Herb, I am going to try to put photo's on.

Mark

F...K your lucky you got the ducati mounts to . Can i see a pic of the mount without the bag on it . Can you tell me what the mount is made off ? Alum ? Steel , Plastic ?. Just check it with a magnet . If it is steel it should not be that bad of a job. If its alum it would be that bad if one could weld alum .

I'm curious if you would mind teling me what you had to pay for them.

Pics of my givi mounts. I always intended to redo them in stainless, but they work, so i havn't bothered yet.

dscn00941dm.jpg

dscn01025eq.jpg

F...K your lucky you got the ducati mounts to . Can i see a pic of the mount without the bag on it . Can you tell me what the mount is made off ? Alum ? Steel , Plastic ?. Just check it with a magnet . If it is steel it should not be that bad of a job. If its alum it would be that bad if one could weld alum .

I'm curious if you would mind teling me what you had to pay for them.

Pics of my givi mounts. I always intended to redo them in stainless, but they work, so i havn't bothered yet.

dscn00941dm.jpg

dscn01025eq.jpg

Nice job on the racks Herb,

I haven't got the bags home yet, just bought em on ebay for $300. As soon as I get them home I will post some photo's of the mounts. I think the mount is steel but I'm not sure. Good thing I have a professional welder for a brother isn't it :rolleyes: I think we should be able to fix them up. I'm hoping not to have to lower the pipes. Bags look pretty good don't they, just have to scrape of the lettering and they should hold lots more than beetles would. I will send more photo's when I get some...Mark

here's the guy in Taiwan(?) that put ducati bags on his XX. i saved the thread and pics as i thought about doing something similar. of course, i didn't save his name. anyway, here ya go:

-------------------------------

FULL PROJECT DETAILS

“I've included some pics of my latest recently completed big Blackbird modification project that I've been dreaming of for more than a year. It probably will never be replicated ever again but I think I can safely say I'm the only one who has done it so far in this world! It wasn't easy and I had to not accept the word 'No' more than once but I did it. I thought some of our fellow Blackbird riders might appreciate seeing the finished product and read about how I did it.

My bikes to me are my sole means of transportation. Cars in Singapore are the most expensive in the world. A band new 2L Mercedes is rougly about USD$90,000. Just a 1.6L Family car will set you back USD$40,000. Most people are contented to take public transportation which is really efficient, safe, cheap and excellent all-round. I have another bike besides the Blackbird - a Honda Magna VF750C. That has always been my work bike and it has three Monokey boxes to hold all my gear like Rainsuits, Street Directory, Spare Helmet, Files, Laptop, Drinking water and other stuff I need for my work. I've really under-utilized my Blackbird from the time I bought it exactly 1 year ago. I could actually only use the Blackbird when the whether was good and I didn't have too much stuff to carry or for long trips up Peninsular Malaysia.

I've always admired sports tourers with specifically designed pannier luggage as they look so impressive, comfortable and "complete''. Some examples are the Triumph Trophy 1200, BMWs, and Ducati ST2 / ST4. I seriously considered a set of Corbin Beetle Bags but the measely capacity would not have justified the rediculous price tag of USD$1300 to have them fitted after taking into account the exchange rate and shipping from the US (plus the horror stories and personal bad experiences ordering from Corbin). The Monokey and Nonfango range was too general and would have spoilt the wonderful lines of the Bird. They also stick out too much...yucks. All bikers lane split in Singapore and zipping in-between cars on a wide Monokey sidebox-ladened Bird would definitely result in some scrapes against expensive cars sooner or later or leave me stuck between idiotic drivers who don't leave me enough space to squeeze through.

I toyed with the idea of customizing a set of panniers from one of the above tourers to fit my Bird and narrowed it down to the Ducati ST, Honda ST11 or BMW touring panniers. I finally decided that the Ducati ST panniers would best fit the curving edges of the Bird's tail section. What I needed was to borrow a set for 2 minutes to simply place against my bike's tail section to see if they'd fit. I knew the Ducati agent in Singapore wouldn't be too forthcoming with lending me a set outside their dealership, if only for a minute.

When I asked this guy on a ST4 who stopped beside me at a stoplight if I could try his panniers for a minute, he displayed the sad trait which can only be described as Rider's snobbery, when he told me I should "get a half decent bike instead". So I used my laptop and did some crude cropping, cutting and pasting with digital St4 & Blackbird pics. They seemed to fit.on screen, so I set about enquiring about the price for a brand new pair. Nonfango who made the ST4 panniers under a OEM contract wouldn't sell me direct and Ducati sells their OEM Panniers at $xxxx.

One Bike agent assured me they wouldn't fit and wouldn't import a set for me. I began searching the web for a secondhand set and found one guy in Australia who was letting his seldom used Panniers for USD$875. We agreed on USD$590 and he agreed to split the freight costs with me. The day they arrived, my wife was going in to deliver our first daughter so I had to wait a week to have them fitted. I knew the specialty metal workshop I went to wouldn't agree to take on the job so I simply showed up with the 2 boxes and the mounting brackets strapped precariously to my Bird.

Of course they said it couldn't be done but I kept insisting it could. They tried to convince me the best way was to mount the brackets wide - Monokey style but I persisted and eventually they agreed ..for a price, which I thought was pretty fair considering the amount of work they'd have to put in. Sturdy mounting points were welded to the frame and the brackets were modified big-time. The exhausts were lowered about 1 1?2' to accommodate the brackets being tucked in between the swingarm and the seat edges. Both brackets were connected by a stainless steel cross brace (which I'll paint black soon) for added rigidity. The result was extremely satisfactory to me.

I had the removable side covers on the boxes painted from red to match my Bird's blue and the job was done. Each pannier is easily 35L - can fit a full-face helmet each. Total cost including installation - USD$873.50. I've since used my bike more in the last 2 weeks than I have in the last 2 months. Now, I'm considering selling the Magna. I guess the panniers could be 1 cm closer but all in all a good fit. I loaded them up and hardly felt a difference in handling because the boxes are close to the bike. I can safely say this bike is a completed project. It's now a fully-fledged super tourer. Someone asked me why I didn't just get a box-equipped sports tourer and the answer is nothing looks as impressive as the Bird's lines on the road today. Sports Tourers generally look too sedate for my taste.. maybe until the X-Wing becomes a reality. My wife and I fell in love with the Birds lines the first day we saw it. In fact she's the one who nagged me to sell my Bandit S1200 for the 2000 Bird”

-------------------------------

post-1251-1139626128_thumb.jpg post-1251-1139626226_thumb.jpg post-1251-1139626240_thumb.jpg post-1251-1139626255_thumb.jpg post-1251-1139626312_thumb.jpg

Beautiful, thanks Gordo, too bad the guy hadnt done a photo of the brackets after modification. I will work away at it and when I get it done I plan to post a few photo's. Those bags are going to look amazing and work out real well for lots of storage. Thanks again....Mark