CBR1100XX.org Forum

Throttle Cables

gharknes

Can someone please explain how the throttle cables work and why there are 2 of them, my throttle went slack today and I had to adjust the cable adjuster on the handle bar right out as far as it would go to get some revs, it is still working but it isn't right.

There is a pull cable and a push cable so if there is a problem with the setup you can roll the throttle closed and the push cable will close the throttle plates.

Sounds like you may have a frayed or broken cable. Time to take it apart and investigate.

There is a pull cable and a push cable so if there is a problem with the setup you can roll the throttle closed and the push cable will close the throttle plates.

Sounds like you may have a frayed or broken cable. Time to take it apart and investigate.

Partially correct. Actually, both cables pull, they are mounted so that one pulls the throttles open the other pulls them closed. They go to a pulley centrally located on the throttle bodies and wrap the pulley from two different directions.

It is likely that the open cable has frayed and is binding at the housing. When you get the tank and airbox off, you'll see how it all works.

Partially correct. Actually, both cables pull, they are mounted so that one pulls the throttles open the other pulls them closed. They go to a pulley centrally located on the throttle bodies and wrap the pulley from two different directions.

It is likely that the open cable has frayed and is binding at the housing. When you get the tank and airbox off, you'll see how it all works.

cheers guys, that explains it very nicely thankyou, so I could be working with one cable right now as they both would push and pull depending on direction, that could explain why it went slack, I just had the plugs changed a week ago and I'm not sure the guy routed the cables correctly as I have been having idle problems also.