CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork shims / preload quest

XX

question:

i replaced my stock fork springs and shims with a longer spring, therefore cut down the new shims so that the new shims and spring was the same length as the old springs and shims.

now, if i determined i have too much preload and want to lessen it, i've heard that i can cut down the shims some.

but, if there is no static sag already in the front, and i cut down the shims, what will happen if while riding the front forks ever extend fully out? won't the tops of the shim be temporarily separated or create a gap between them and the fork cap, and then when there is compression again they will hit?

is this okay? is this a dumb question? did i explain it right? any help appreciated ;o)

If there is no static sag, (no sag at all when the bike is held upright, and there is no rider aboard) you already have to much preload.

You should have around 30mm or a little more sag when you are on the bike. If you get this adjusted correctly, and then find that there is no static sag, this means you got the wrong springs. They are to light.

As to your question about the springs separating from the shims.

No. Your springs are always under tension. If you install the spacers, and the springs, and there is no tension, you will not have enough preload.

Don't forget, these two springs together (if they are 1.0 springs) contribute 2 kg per mm of compression. So, if you compress the springs 50 mm (around 2 inches) during installation, they are supporting 100 kg (or 220 pounds) of weight .

The front end of the bike weighs more than that.