CBR1100XX.org Forum

weight a minute...

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

I was going to post something designed to get things going here...something like...

I'm considering running without clutch plates. Has anyone ever tried this, and is there anything problematic I should look out for?

But then my brain phase-shifted back through your dimension, and I saw that might not go over well....I know how you earth people can't see past your "laws" of physics. So here's something that might be more within your grasp.

Not being familiar with any condition other than "financially embarassed." and looking lustfully at the now occurring Carigatoni wheel buy, I'm curious if anyone has made a serious effort at removing weight from the XX...and what were the results. The more I stare at the bike, the less places I see to lose any significant weight at all....except from the rider.

Gentlemen....ladies? Hmmmm?

Not being familiar with any condition other than "financially embarassed."

:drunks:

I love my bird, and although I would love for her to lose a little weight... The cost isn't worth it too me.

Joe... your starting to sound like you're Married to your bike.... do I need to say more. :wink:

Replace the gas tank with an old windshield washer bottle

Remove the front brake system, any Hardley owner will tell you it's not needed as using them will cause you to immediately fly over the handlebars.

Make it a hardtail

HTH

Guest rockmeupto125
Married to your bike.... do I need to say more.

Hey...no other action here. :(

When you see little xx's running around, start worrying about me.

Geeze, where to start?

Well, from what I can see about this bike, making it lighter just isn't cheap or easy. Exhaust changes, the easiest way I can see to loose weight, but not cheap.

Wheel changes, I think best bang for the buck because they are rotating weight, and you'll feel the most difference.

Bar ends? Cheap change, but little weight loss.

Rear sprocket, same.

Dieting is going to be great both for your riding and your view of yourself, but them you might have to buy new gear that fits correctly, but didn't I just read that you love new gear at bargain $$$?

Tough call.

I've heard this saying wheels and it seems to apply to a lot of machinery also:

Wheels almost always come in a combination of 2 (and only 2) of the following forms;

A) Cheap

B) Light

C) Strong

It seems to me that a lot of things are that way. A strong, light bike, ehh, usually will cost 'ya. Cheap and light, usually not strong. And so forth. Or maybe I'm just in my own little world.

L8R,

delinking saved some weight not alot....exhaust change got me the most loss of course. i have a few little things taken off but nothing major (fender type stuff) would like to get wheels but i'm broke. guess i should just work on the rider weight! :D :twisted:

Doing it now -- bike is missing a LOT of parts as it sits in the garage naked. Unfortunately, too many are critical to it running.

From what you posted long ago in another thread, the stock exhaust system totals 34 lbs. I weighed my Micron 4-2-1 plus carbon fiber cannister and hardware and got something like 16 lbs. That's an 18 lb. reduction.

Against all reason and financial prudence, I jumped on the Carrozzeria GB, so that is supposed to save 8+ lbs of the most critical kind.

Probably adding back a pound or two with the ballasts from the HID GB, and I suspect that when I buy a Wilbers for the rear, I'll add another pound or two over stock. Just not a lot more to lose easily on this bike.

On me, though, I can lose 15 to 20, and have ordered suspension components based upon a loss of 15 -- as another incentive. Gym bag packed and sitting near the door right now.

I figure I've dropped at least 50-60lbs off mine, no sweat. Going with the minimalist style XX.......

53030985.jpg

I've since removed the wheels, now it's really light :P

Okay, agree with others, exhaust is the eaiest. The Akra dropped about 22lbs off the bike.

Tubular axles front and rear, don't have to be Ti, 4130 will do nicely. Worth at least a pound on each end and unsprung weight to boot. You could even have the stockers gun drilled and gain at least some benefit.

As stated by others, the exhaust change will provide the most overall weight loss, the wheel change will provide the most beneficial loss but you will really need a quality shock and some fork mods to take maximum advantage. Tires might be worth a pound or two on each end as well.

After the above, it starts to get silly in terms of $$$ spent per oz gained/lost.

Tubular axles front and rear, don't have to be Ti, 4130 will do nicely. Worth at least a pound on each end and unsprung weight to boot. You could even have the stockers gun drilled and gain at least some benefit.

Damn you, Ed -- got me thinking, now that my axles are off. What diameter gun drilling bore would you think leaves enough steel in the stockers to remain sufficiently strong for street purposes ? And what would 4130 or Ti axles cost and where might they be found? (I expect to fall out of my computer chair, figuring you're talking high end race parts.)

Dunno, I haven't got an axle in my hand at the moment and I'm about 1100 miles from my bike. You would probably need to leave at least an 0.090 wall on the stock axle, 0.065 should be alright for seamless 4130. Tap the end of the tube to replace the axle nut (don't forget to vent it somehow). Sleeve, as needed, on the ends to accomodate the chain adjusters, rear wheel bearings and assorted spacers. Actually, it pays to make a bunch of this stuff new as well.

Married to your bike.... do I need to say more.

Hey...no other action here. :(

When you see little xx's running around, start worrying about me.

If it's the only way to get a new XX I say go for it!

Shaving weight from a XX serves what purpose? Reminds me of the pet shop skit on Monty Python. It is what it is. Buy an early model ST1100 with a clapped out rear shock, gas it up. put the wife on the back and weeble around at 50 mph for a couple of hours. The XX will feel like a nuclear-powered Schwinn after that.

Shaving weight from a XX serves what purpose? Reminds me of the pet shop skit on Monty Python. It is what it is.

Well for me, since I have no intention of buying a true sport bike (too limited, plus budget constraints, though I got stiff for the new $20,000 R1-LE in the local shop two days ago). My other bike is a sport tourer better suited to long distances and two up riding, so the XX is my one up twisties carver. And yeah, it is what it is.

But when it comes to feasibly reducing unsprung weight along with the suspension upgrades, I'm interested in making it handle as well as I can within limits -- NOT in racing liter bike or 600 class sport bikes through the mountains. The exhaust is just too easy to lose substantial pounds to offset a few farkles and more, but the rest of the weight loss I'm after is unsprung. By winter's end, I'll have done all that is feasible on my budget, and I expect to enjoy its handling more this summer than last.

(Hehehe -- and I gotta find all the justification I can for buying those gorgeous new Carrozzeria wheels in the GB -- so please humor me.) :wink:

I understand. I do have the ST1100 stated above. FJR 1300, huh? Nice. Actually, I'd like BST carbon fiber wheels on my XX, some Ohlins/Penske/Elka, etc. suspension bits, CRG levers - I just can't afford the stuff with the financial drain of three bikes and two start-up businesses and I have the nagging fear I'll only make a small difference in performance my ability won't notice and the next buyer won't pay for. Really, I'm absolutely thrilled I have the XX at all. Everytime I look at it, I can't believe it's mine.

I am down to 519 wet, how about you,,,,wheels at 5 lbs each total with tires ,,,,7.5 at 96 in the 1/8,,,going for the world record at 140,,,,,any body wana ride bitch at 140

I am down to 519 wet, how about you,,,,wheels at 5 lbs each total with tires ,,,,7.5 at 96 in the 1/8,,,going for the world record at 140,,,,,any body wana ride bitch at 140

Wow, that beast is lighter than a stock XX? Never would have guessed.

Where'd the weight come off, besides the wheels? Frame?