CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need a Favour

gharknes

I live in Thailand and getting parts and accessories is difficult to say the least, as it's very hot here and you can find yourself sitting in traffic quite a lot, traffic lights can stay red for a long time, this makes my Bird very hot indeed, the fan can be on constantly for maybe 30 mins until you find some clear road to get the air flowing, so that's the problem I want to improve on.

The only way I can of doing that is to use "Red Line Water Wetter" but guess what, you can't get it here, I have contacted several online motor suppliers and they won't ship to Thailand, I am still working on it.

So here is the favour, would anyone like to go out buy a bottle of the stuff and mail it to me, I can pay all costs using Paypal so that is a must, if it doesn't arrive I promise I will not hold anyone to it, stuff gets lost in the post all the time, I would be very greatful if someone could do this for me, my Bird gets very hot and I need to do something about it.

it's not that the fan runs when stopped, it is so hot here that it runs all the time, I just need the best cooling in my Bird that I can get and I'm convinced that water wetter will help a great deal, imagine florida mid summer stuck in traffic all day 100f and nowhere to go except 10 feet forward.....................let me know what yourndeatails are via email gharknes1@lycos.com and i will be most greatfull

I live in Thailand and getting parts and accessories is difficult to say the least, as it's very hot here and you can find yourself sitting in traffic quite a lot, traffic lights can stay red for a long time, this makes my Bird very hot indeed, the fan can be on constantly for maybe 30 mins until you find some clear road to get the air flowing, so that's the problem I want to improve on.

The only way I can of doing that is to use "Red Line Water Wetter" but guess what, you can't get it here, I have contacted several online motor suppliers and they won't ship to Thailand, I am still working on it.

So here is the favour, would anyone like to go out buy a bottle of the stuff and mail it to me, I can pay all costs using Paypal so that is a must, if it doesn't arrive I promise I will not hold anyone to it, stuff gets lost in the post all the time, I would be very greatful if someone could do this for me, my Bird gets very hot and I need to do something about it.

A little dish soap works the same magic that water wetter does, which is to break the surface tension of the water, increasing it's wettability.

A capful should do the trick.

You might try that / / / first... It's cheaper... If you still want the Redline stuff, I'll send you some, but it's up to you...

I did happen to think, though, that the dish soap might eat away at gaskets and such (specifically rubber gaskets and 0-rings)... Anybody using it??

Mike

You might try that / / / first... It's cheaper... If you still want the Redline stuff, I'll send you some, but it's up to you...

I did happen to think, though, that the dish soap might eat away at gaskets and such... Anybody using it??

Mike

The person I got that advice from didn't mention anything about that, he's a reputable engine builder with some serious credentials.

Besides, in the XX there is no gaskets, only orings. And orings don't care a whit about dish soap.

J.

Dish soap as in like Fairy Liquid that you do dishes with, corrosion is the only problem if you don't use an additive. Water on it's own has a heat transfer capacity of 100%, used with a Glycol based additive this reduces to 50%

Wouldn't dish soap produce suds ?

Dish soap as in like Fairy Liquid that you do dishes with, corrosion is the only problem if you don't use an additive. Water on it's own has a heat transfer capacity of 100%, used with a Glycol based additive this reduces to 50%

Wouldn't dish soap produce suds ?

100% compared to what?

Water wetter reduces the surface tension of water.

Soap reduces the surface tension of water.

Water, when subject to a metal surface of high enough temperature, will evaporate briefly, until it is removed from the heat. This small insulative layer of water vapor will hinder the ability of the cooling medium to carry heat away from the metal.

It will cycle. Heat up, evaporate (bubble), vapor will cool down, recollect on the base metal where it will be heated again to vapor. The bad thing is, this makes hot spots worse.

If you are running water only, yes, a corrosion inhibitor would be nice. WW has an inhibitor, and the resultant cooling effect of WW + distilled water is the best of all aqueous solutions.

I don't believe there is a problem with foaming, unless you have an unusually high amount of soap in the system.

J.