CBR1100XX.org Forum

iridium plugs gap

sprack

I'm in the process of installing the new ngk plugs (iridium) and the instructions on the plug package state not to gap them. When I see what they are set to its 0.030 whereas the book calls for 0.040. Is this ok and should I do it anyway or just use the default?

Joe is right, I got corrected on this too. The Platinum's are a thin layer of Platinum coating, the Iridium's are Iridium all the way through. Sprack, leave them alone out of the box, they are pre-gapped (unless grossly gapped like bent electrode or something). You are OK with the Iridiums if all you did was check though.

MaXX

I have had this conversation with my buddy who is a Honda Service Manager.

He & I agree on the following:

The correct plugs are "pre gapped" from the factory; and under normal

cercumstances require no gapping.

It is however possible to gap the plugs, (Platnium or Irridum) if you gap them properly.

Only the electrode (center section) is plated - if you force a feeler guage between the electrode and the ground pin (top l shaped part) - you run the risk of damaging the electrode; especially the irridium because it's so small.

If you were to lightly insert (with out forcing) a feeler guage between the two, found you needed to adjust, used a gap tool to widen, or slightly tap the top grond rod to decrease the distance - you should not damage the plug.

According to what my buddy says - the Irridium plugs are not as delicate as some on this board have said; the only problem is the electrode is much smaller the traditional plugs and you have to take care, as with anything else.

I didn't adjust the gap, just checked it. Wire-feeler without forcing it, so hopefully its still ok. jeez, #1 plugs are a pain to get at. Thanks for the help.

jesse

Removing the plugs was easy. The hard part is getting the plug wires off. On 3 and 4, I had to loop a string under the 90 part of the plug wire and pull and wiggle to get off. A half hour job just to get the wires off. :cry:

thinking about attempting my first plug change after hearing all of these success stories.

i read carlos' and warchild's instructions, (warchilds is at: http://www.superblackbird.com/spark1.cfm) but got a little nervous when it was mentioned that you just have to "feel" the 9 ft-lbs of torque when tightening the plugs, and it's really important not to overtighten. also, he mentioned not to bother even trying to use a torque wrench here.

so... advice on tightening them? :wink:

They recommend a 1/4 - 1/2 twist past snug. Thats kind of vague though. When you loosen the ones in there you'll get a feel for how tight it should be. I'm still looking for a low force torque wrench for this kind of job. Wish I had a better answer for you, best of luck.

jesse