CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird Keeps dying

KiwiCBR

Hi all,

My 99Bird keeps cutting out while on the move. Not a good thing to have happen while your hanging it out round a corner. Sometimes it is only for a split second or so but some times longer and i have to stop and thumb the starter a few times before it fires again. At first i thought it was only happening over rough roads but this is not the case. It is like there is just no spark..no warning lights come on it just dies. I have checked all the wires that i can see under the seat and all seems ok. Anybody else have this issue? Can anyone point me in the right place to start checking things?

Many thanks

Paul

... Battery Connections - they will loosen up with time & vibration. I had similar symptoms, to include poor starting... and I traced it to loose 10mm bolts at both battery terminals. I had installed a new battery about six months prior, so I assumed everything was still nice and tight - WRONG... Now I use just a drop of BLUE lock-tite on the captured terminal nuts' threads - no more loose connections.

... it sure sounds like something is intermittently grounding out. When it dies on you, does the headlight stay lit? Is the fuel pump still running?Are any other systems out as well? I assume you've checked all the connectors in the wiring harness..? Has anything like this happened before..?

BAS

Try bypassing it, or at least verify all the connections are good. If you need help bypassing it, just ask. It's relatively easy. :)

In laymens terms .. bank angle sensor ... it shuts off fuel supply when you lay th e bike down, but if its faulty it will cut it out whenever it pleases.

Don't think it's the BAS as it happens on straight road as well but worth trying. How do i bypass it?

All other systems are good lights ect still run.

The last time it happened was on straight road no bumps and it died...hit the starter...nothing...hit it again and she started fine.

Never had any other problems with it at all....just this started happening about 3 weeks ago and seems to be getting worse.

Cheers

Remove the seat. Look at the two rear mounting bolts on the gas tank. The left side bolt has a wire harness attached to it. Under that wire is a hex-head screw that secures some ground wires to the frame. Loosen that screw and retighten it. Do it again. If it fixes your problem, smile. If not, tough shit - I tried. :wink:

Remove the seat.  Look at the two rear mounting bolts on the gas tank.  The left side bolt has a wire harness attached to it.  Under that wire is a hex-head screw that secures some ground wires to the frame.  Loosen that screw and retighten it.  Do it again.  If it fixes your problem, smile.  If not, tough shit - I tried.   :wink:

Ok tried that...will see if it makes any differance tomorrow when im out next. Bolt was tight and wires secured.

Thanks for your input

Next time it quits, or won't start normally, try push-starting it.  If it starts ok that way, the problem is likely the stator.  Stretch can tell you all about that.

The bike starts fine...it is only when it dies while riding that it takes a couple of hits on the starter to kick it back in to life. But it will start while in gear before i have slowed down enough to stop.

your problem could be any one of many poor electrical connections, you can narrow it down by excluding some items as suggested above by shorting them out effectively taking them out of the senario, it could be anything from ignition switch to fuel pump, what you may need to do is go round as many electrical connections as possible and make sure they are tight and secure, also check the relays and fuses under the seat, when it dies do the lights go off or is it just the engine stops ?

you can also run the engine and start getting your hands in there and jiggle a few wires/connectors and hope the fault shows up, move the stands slightly if either shuts the engine down then it is too sensitive, the list of things that can cause your problem is huge, an intermitant electrical problem is very very hard to find............good luck

Not that I'm a Pro with the XX's but , I remember hearing something about the 99's having corrosion problems in the harness. Besides that brainfart, I didn't see if you replied to whether the fuel pump remained running when the bike quit on you. I know that the kill switch on the right bar shuts it down, but I beleive it also shunts the ignigtion as well. If it just shut the fuel pump, the bike would still run for a second or so after it was shut down. Residual fuel pressure and all. I would look into that switch first. It's easy to reach, but there are a number of wires attached to it, and it's not super simple to bypass from what it looks like.

Here's another general question for you. When the bike dies, and you are rolling in gear, will it roll to a complete stop dead? Or, do you have to "cycle" the key to get it to fire? I assume that when it has happed to you before, that you pulled in the clutch, rolled to a stop, put it in Neutral, and restarted it. If that were the case , I'd even look into a relay possibly going bad. Let us know what you find.

Guest rockmeupto125

What, are you off your meds already? Its not the power supply...he has ample electric to run the starter after the event.

BAS, kickstand switch, wiring loom, kill switch.

What, are you off your meds already?  Its not the power supply...he has ample electric to run the starter after the event.

BAS, kickstand switch, wiring loom, kill switch.

Just trying to help :cry:

Mine would quit and start right back up until the stator went completely.

Here's another general question for you. When the bike dies, and you are rolling in gear, will it roll to a complete stop dead? Or, do you have to "cycle" the key to get it to fire? I assume that when it has happed to you before, that you pulled in the clutch, rolled to a stop, put it in Neutral, and restarted it. If that were the case , I'd even look into a relay possibly going bad. Let us know what you find.

Once it dies and can pull in the clutch and restart it while rolling, dont have to be in neutral or flick the kill switch...just hit the starter a couple of times and she fires up again.

All gauges remain working correctly.. As for the fuel pump....I am sure that it cuts out as well because the motor dies as if i had turned the key off. I will check the wiring in the kill switch today and see what i can find in there.

Have had no time to look at it over Christmas,

Only thing i have done was the easiest suggestion of tighting the earth wires under the seat...Thought i would start with the quickest fix suggestion first.

Will go for a ride tomorrow and see how it goes.

Will let you know how it goes :lol:

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Cheers

sounds like, the problem i had, when my wiring loom started to let me know. corrosion was building up, before it started to shut down, on me on a consistent basis. search loom on this site for more help.