CBR1100XX.org Forum

modifications

scott s.

the only mod on my bird is scorpion slip ons.

what would i gain by installing a power comander 2.it is a 01 bird

thanks scott s.          xx

The ability to map the fuel/air flow to meet the charactoristics of your setup ... when you add anything performance wise it changes the flow of the engine, i.e. a pipe can affect the flow of gasses from the cylinders and impact the power-pulses of the engine, the PC2 will allow you to adjust it on the dyno to get the most out of everything.

Assuming the stock mapping is pretty much OK and the stock exhaust system is more restrictive than the pipes you installed, two big assumptions BTW, a PC can allow you to tailor the map to the flow characteristics of the new pipes. Keep in mind that more noise does not always equate to more flow.

You can probably use it to help correct some EPA mandated lean conditions that dyno charts seem to indicate and get yourself some more driveability. I would not expect that you will gain any fantastic increase in torque or HP but you should be able to improve the lower mid range and maybe a bit on the top as well.

I see the PC as a nice tool for this kind of stuff. Keep in mind that a downshift to correct a small deficiency in mid range torque is a much cheaper alternative. Coming, as I do, from riding mostly BMW's for the last 10 years or so, I am quite satisfied with the stock performance of my bike. Also with the stock exhaust in terms of noise. Many times I ride for 12 - 15 hours a day and I find that louder exhaust can be somewhat fatiguing over those long periods. I have run in the 7's in the quarter on my drag bike (now departed) so power and speed on a street bike doesn't really impress me much anymore. I sure would like a couple of more mpg though.

the only mod on my bird is scorpion slip ons.

what would i gain by installing a power comander 2.it is a 01 bird

thanks scott s.          xx

I am not sure for the USA-bikes, but in Europe you need a PC 3 for a 2001 model..... Just check it before you buy......

It has been covered like milion times,do the search,but actually at WOT stock mapping is far from lean,it is too rich for the best power so many times set of free flow slip-ons puts the mixture right.This way there is no noticable gain when running bike on the dyno and becouse of that people claim that PC does not do anything.

Part throttle is different story,properly tuned PC will improve engine response,running temperature will drop and it is possible to get extra 10-15 miles per tank of fuel when done properly.

It has been covered like milion times,do the search,but actually at WOT stock mapping is far from lean,it is too rich for the best power so many times set of free flow slip-ons puts the mixture right.This way there is no noticable gain when running bike on the dyno and becouse of that people claim that PC does not do anything.

Part throttle is different story,properly tuned PC will improve engine response,running temperature will drop and it is possible to get extra 10-15 miles per tank of fuel when done properly.

+1!

The difference is quite noticeable....

what do you mean by driveability?

Not something I would like to put numbers to but one man's opinion might go like this. A little crisper when pulling away from a light, you know, that transition into throttle only from throttle and clutch. A nice little torque pickup in the 4 to 6K RPM range so that the little throttle change you make to roll around a left lane hog hits just a bit harder. I think the bike is sweet through most of its range but those two areas could certainly use a little help.

If all of the above also came with an improvement in fuel milage, I, at 50K miles a year of ridng would welcome that as well. I rode about 200 miles today through the Ocala National forest with very moderate (70 ish) speeds, OK a couple of rips up to 100 or so to pass groups of cars, and only got like 36.5 mpg for the tank. 199.9 miles took 5.48 gallons. That sucks, my 1100S under the same conditions easily gets 42 easily. 'Course it ain't as purty.

All I can tell you is that I too have Scorp slip-ons for my '02 w/a PCIII...custom map done at a bike perform shop...and the bike runs awesome.....super smooth. Dunno how it was w/just slips b/c all done at once. They dyno'd at 138 at the rear. I'm very happy with the setup.