CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air shock info?

Justin

I know its not the correct baord to ask about these, as XX don't use them. But again, I know alot of folks on here just know alot of shit about everthing, so its worth a shot. I'm working on rear suspension setup for my "1980 cx-500 adventure sidecar ratbike". so far I habe lined up a 18" inch rim of an earlier cx (the customs have a 16 inch, yuck. I also want to beef up the rear suspension, and though using some old air shocks from a GL would do a nice job. Question is, do the air shocks hook up to something on the bike, or are the "pumped" up via an external pump?

damn you guys are good! and fast too.... Unlike ST.N where I might have had to dig through 3 pages of know-it-all yet incorrect responses to get the one I need. Thanks again :)

Not to mention all the 'OH MY GOD YOU CAN'T DO THAT YOU'RE GONNA DIE IF YOU CHANGE ANYTHING ON YOUR BIKE' posts. That's my biggest pet peeve over there. Just cuz it doesn't have the proper brand name on it I can't use it. Fuck that.

damn you guys are good! and fast too.... Unlike ST.N where I might have had to dig through 3 pages of know-it-all yet incorrect responses to get the one I need. Thanks again :)

Not to mention all the 'OH MY GOD YOU CAN'T DO THAT YOU'RE GONNA DIE IF YOU CHANGE ANYTHING ON YOUR BIKE' posts. That's my biggest pet peeve over there. Just cuz it doesn't have the proper brand name on it I can't use it. Fuck that.

Don't get me wrong, theres alot of good people on ST.N. and I enjoy the place. I have met alot of riders through there that are pretty cool. I just hate all the know-it-alls, who really don't know all that much...

Anyway, I got myself a set of 82' gl1100 air shocks of ebay, total cost $25.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Not sure how I will inflate them, perhaps I will have to add a valve style end on the lines or something .. not totally sure, looks like the setup was designed to plug into a pump built into the bike

This is what I find on 82 wings:

The 1982 GL1100 had some major improvements in the new Aspencade. This machine had an electrically operated air pump for the suspension, accessed from the top of the dummy tank, instead of the previous tyre valve setup (retained on the Standard and Interstate) which required the rider to either keep a manual pump handy or go to the local garage to pump up the suspension.

As long as those shocks came off a Standard or Interstate you're fine. If they came off an Aspencade you'll have a little finagling to do.

I'm working on rear suspension setup for my "1980 cx-500

Man that takes me back........... my first bike of any kind was a Honda CX-500 custom deluxe. I think the top speed was 80mph and it felt like it.

Man, I had some fun on that bike.

GOT ANY PICS!!!!!!!!