CBR1100XX.org Forum

Well, I guess hell just froze over-

Redbird

Checked my valve clearance this morning. Two intake and three exhaust are out of specification (tight).

Now I have to pull the cams, was really hoping that wasn't going to be necessary. Probably going to have a grand time sourcing the shims without going through the dealer.

Bike has 41k on it, and the valves in question are only out ~.001", but out is out.

Not happy :(

$6 and doing it all over again. Checking the valves is cake, getting to them is not.

Besides, I'd think any carbon buildup on the valves or seats would have them running loose, not tight.

Guest rockmeupto125

Knock it off...all of you.

You're gonna wuss out over a thousandth in 40 thousand miles?

Wait till 80k and they're 2 thousandths out. Why do twice the work?

Don't think I haven't thought about it, Joe.

Bike ain't going anywhere for awhile anyway, I'm thinking I'll feel better next spring knowing all is within spec.

BTW- Carbon buildup would have them running loose, not tight.

Alrighty then, since you are the Garage Moderator, and you're going to do the valves I think it's only right that you post up very thorough and comprehensive instructions complete with pictures (an idiots guide if you will) for any and all of your loyal followers. Step by Step with a picture for each step is on order I think. Something that a 14 year old girl could easily follow. I would imagine 20-25 pages (notebook size) with 10 PT Font single spaced and 50 or so pictures will do it.

You'll feel better knowing you did a great service to all of us.

:)

You did check them with the Motor COLD correct ?

And was your feeler guage face up ?

How many Grams of pull did you have on the feeler guage ?

1) Duh.

2) Feeler gauge? I used a ruler.

3) You're kidding, right?

Seriously, feeler gauge was inserted both ways, but why would it matter? You'll have to educate me on that one.

Scot, I'll take a few pics and try and put something together. Too late for the teardown, but the manual covers that pretty well. Problem will be finding a 14 year old girl to explain it to you :lol:

I know a guy with a few exxtra shims.

Lemme ask him if he'll let you borrow them.

"Hey, J. Some dude on the XX forum wants to bum a few shims off you. Yeah. Uh, huh. Fucking A, he's good for it... Whatever, man."

Yeah, he said it's okay.

I think I still gots your addy.

Too late for the teardown, but the manual covers that pretty well. Problem will be finding a 14 year old girl to explain it to you :lol:

:lol::lol: Fucker :greenfingers:

It was just too easy, sorry :D

J, tell your friend he rocks and I'll be in touch.

3) You're kidding, right?

Seriously, feeler gauge was inserted both ways, but why would it matter? You'll have to educate me on that one.

Yes buddy.... I was Kidding! :lol:

Sort of.... I might have been insinuating that one one thousands of an inch (.001) would be offly hard to tell the difference in, and that one person may say that it's still within spec to his feel, whereas another might even say it's out.

But I trust that you are comfortable with your measurement, and that's all that really matter anyhow. :wink: right ?

Now you did lube the feeler guage before you inserted it didn't you ?

Things always feel tighter when they're dry you know !

Too late for the teardown, but the manual covers that pretty well. Problem will be finding a 14 year old girl to explain it to you :lol:

:lol::lol: Fucker :greenfingers:

It was just too easy, sorry :D

J, tell your friend he rocks and I'll be in touch.

Yea, I know. I set it up pretty good. I'll have to be more cautious around you. :)

Now you did lube the feeler guage before you inserted it didn't you ?

The cams and buckets had a handy coating of oil on them :wink:

As far as "feel", not a factor. Minimum clearance is .008" (EX), .008" gauge does not fit, .007" gauge fits nice and snug, clear as day, .001 tight.

Of course, the .007 wasn't as snug on all of them that were tight, but if some have to go, might as well hit the borderline ones while I'm in there.

Guest rockmeupto125

Fooking amateurs shouldn't be messing with their valves in the first place if they ain't got .0075 slips.

I'm proud of you. I'da been sorely tempted to put it back together. But its winter, and already apart....

Wow! Hell DID freeze over! Feels like it here anyway 5 deg F. right now.

If they were 1 thou. loose I'd just button it up, but tight is not good.

Mine fluctuate from 1 check to the next, I had 1 valve 1 thou. loose, left it alone and at at the next check fine again. THAT might be the Seafoam. :wink:

I've been dreading the cam removal, mostly due to the fact that the frame rail blocks looking at the cam sprockets on the right side.

Yes, please do a write up for us.