CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fixing tank dents?

FloridaSilverBird

How easy is it for a painter/mechanic/whoever to fix dents in tanks? I was looking at this ebay auction and since it supposedly is a brand new tank that just got dropped or something during shipping sustaining a dent, perhaps if the dent could be poped out you would have essentially a brand new tank? Would it have to be repainted or would imprefections still be visible anyway after fixing it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4594372272

Thanks.

How easy is it for a painter/mechanic/whoever to fix dents in tanks? .

.. those "Pops a dent" kits for $9.99 you can get at Autozone work fairly well, it took out the small dent my tank had when I bought it. Whats with looking for a tank, nose piece, and the other farkles? Did ya lay it down?

.. those "Pops a dent" kits for $9.99 you can get at Autozone work fairly well, it took out the small dent my tank had when I bought it. Whats with looking for a tank, nose piece, and the other farkles? Did ya lay it down?

That would not work in this application. The dent on this tank is on a curved peice of metal. It will never regain it's original "Memory" of shape. Those things sometimes work OK on a flat panel though.

Chris,

Get your present tank fixed. A PDR ( Paintless Dent Repair ) guy might be able to "spoon" out the small dents you have. Then the rest get's filled with plastic. There used to be a body filler out there that was composed of Aluminum powder in a resin. I forgot the name of it, but it's a lot stronger than a Bondo style of filler. Get some advise from a good auto body person. They will be able to advise you to the best way to fix it. When done properly, you'll never be able to tell there was a dent there. Look into it.

That would not work in this application. The dent on this tank is on a curved peice of metal. It will never regain it's original "Memory" of shape. Those things sometimes work OK on a flat panel though.

Get your present tank fixed. A PDR ( Paintless Dent Repair ) guy might be able to "spoon" out the small dents you have.

Funny, it took the dent out out of my tank. Was about the same size as the one pictured in the eBay ad. In fact, in almost the same place. Bought the kit for $9.99 and did it 4-5 times before it finally came all the way out. Each time it improved slightly. Now is it 100% perfect, no. But its so minor you really have to be looking for it and be in the right light.

As for paintless dent removal they go behind the panel and then pop it forward, but since gas tanks have an inner and outer shell, I dont know how they would get between them - unless you can get between the shells by removing the gas filler lid. Somehow I doubt that though.