CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID Conversion

rodantking

I know a lot of you have changed over as I am thinking about it. Any input would be great. Venders, Low or Low and High conversions. I am already decided on a low Temp. somewere around 4300K. I don't have any other lighting on the bike and with this upgrade I'm thinking none will be needed.

The group buy is over now, but I think another forums has one going on. Someone will chime in.

Here it was $185 or thereabouts for the 5000K kit, which included both low and high beams.

I got the 6000K burners for about $8 more.

Never loked back. Best single thing I have done to the bike so far. I commute to work third shift, so I leave for work at 10:30pm and ride 65 miles through the pine barrens and rural NJ.

The stock headlight was better than the one in my car, but the HID.... you just have to see it. On a lonely back road, with the high beam on, you can really see as far as the road goes. Usable light for at least 1/4 mile and reflections off markers and the like for as far as you can see. Even just the low beam is a huge improvement alone, but if you're going to do it, do it right and do both lamps.

XX is nice because the low and high beams are separate single filament bulbs, so you don't lose any functionality or have to buy the expensive 9004 servo operated "dual filament" burner. Which reall is just a single burner with a servo operated light baffle that blocks the high beam pattern until you hit it.

The folks here had awesome luck with the seller we dealt with. Ordered mine on a Friday, shipped next day from Hong Kong and had them Tuesday (shipped Monday). Worked perfect and I can't recommend them enough.

See my avatar for more info.

And to answer the inevitable question, no my headlight is not purple, I think my Kodak digital just couldn't handle being held in front of 6000 lumens of goodness and the optics overloaded. The light in reality is very very white, with a slight tint of light ice blue. Much more white than blue.

Not purple like the picture though. On the pavement it looks white. On reflective white signs you can detect the blue tint.

Hey any one do a tec. page on the install?
Install isn't hard, pretty much pull and replace. I zip-tied the igniters to existing fairing stays and used the two sided tape to mount the ballasts on the inside of the nose cone, away from anything hot and with good airflow. Getting the bulbs to be wobble free was a bit of a task, but not bad. I put 3 hose washers on the base of each module, I had to cut then so they were in the shape of a "C". Behind the washers I made a plastic disk that fit snugly on the base of each module to hold them in place.