CBR1100XX.org Forum

Starter/kill switch wiring harness length?

OrganDonor

Well Merry Fucking XMAS to me!!!

I won a pair of european switches on eBay a few weeks back. (Left side with flast-to-pass button, right side with lights on-off-and just parking lights on).

It arrived, and in the box were the pair I won, PLUS a second right-side switch!!!!

The two right switches are identical, except for the lenth of the wiring harnesses... one is about 24" long, the other is about 14", both have the same red connector on the end. Is there a reason they are different lengths? Off of different years?

Right side...

normal_IMG_0016.JPG

Different lengths...

normal_IMG_0017.JPG

Left side

normal_IMG_0019.JPG

Looking at mine, the harness coming off the switch is the longer version. Joe is probably right about the HISS thing, he's smart that way.

Let me know if you want to sell the one you don't use, I'm assuming it'll be the shorter one...

Took all of THREE minutes before I start getting offers... well, not exactly offers... dunno what to ask for them. I don't really need the left one, so I could offer them up as a package, or separately.

I wish we had what SECOND you guys posted, since Redbird and Joe BOTH posted at 12:24... so I can't decide it that way.

My right hand European switch measures to be 19" in length, from the end of the plug to the switch housing.

I have another, but will have to go out to the garage to measure that one, and once I go outside, I'm gonna be there for a while (snowing like a mother fucker here :( ).

I'll post that measurement later.

I'll be installing mine in the next few weeks, so I can let you know what my 2000 used.

Post what you find with yours, though.

The stock RH switch length on the 2000 I have torn apart here measures a whopping 31" long.

The euro switch I have on my '97 looks to be about 18" long.

Like Joe said, the mounting point of the harness to the upper stay is why there is a difference in length. The 2000's wire bunches with the rest of the harness on the left side of the upper stay while the '97's wire goes from the switch directly to the harness.

Yes you can plug it right in and it will work, but the middle position (parking lamp) won't do anything........obviously since the US spec bikes don't have one.

I'm thinking of wiring mine so that the first postion (from off) will turn the headlight on without the running lights in the mirrors and the second position will run the headlight AND the running lights as well. I just haven't had time to mess with it just yet.