CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork oil, springs etc.

Pete in PA

Since my budget is limited (as always, tires kill me as it is) How much would I gain by just changing to 5 WT fork oil leaving everything else the same. Keep in mind that I've already shimed my stock springs for the correct sag.

I'm after getting rid of the harsh compression damping that makes the front hop on concrete slab highways.

I'd like to do the whole Hyper Pro spring set up fron and rear, but it's about $260 delivered.

Not being a suspension expert or anything, I'd say that, if you want to do JUST the lighter weight fork oil for the front end, I'd maybe add a little bit of oil height to the front end to make the front end's "effective spring rate" more progressive (less air gap, less air to compress = a fork that acts about the same at standard sag levels, but is harder to bottom)... ALthough I will say that, Race-Tech front springs/spacers are only like $95, and WOW!

Mike

If you want to be daring i would pull your fork apart and alter the shim stack on your compression valve .

I would just try removing one of the shims from the face of the compression valve.( i forget what the stock stack is but there is a few shims of the same diameter/thickness) If you can get a hold of a copy of the race tech installation instructions it will show how to take apart your existing valves. I havn't done this (altered stock stacks in my fork) but i have gained some understanding by installing my racetech stuff and by revalving my own shock . I would try it next time instade of buying the racetch stuff.

Herb

Anyone do springs first and then latter the valves? How much improvement were the valves?

I did.

First I did Hyperpro springs and lighter oil. Improvement over standard, about 50% (really surprised me how much improvement you can make with such a simple item like a spring and some oil).

A year later I've had my front fork cleaned, new scraping rings and new valves mounted. Improvement about 20%, but the old oil probably was 10 to 15%, and the valves were 5 to 10%.

However, I am a leighweight rider, and the bike is originally set up for aproximately my eight. If there is more of you than there is of me :lol: the new valves will benifit you more than a standard rider....

In my opinion, the valve-thing is not worth the money and effort....

Only if you are already planning to take the complete forks apart you could (or should) do it.

I am using 5W oil, and it's a BIG difference from stock! Actually, I was suprised at the difference with just the Race-Tech springs and 5W oil... Best $100 I've ever spent on the bike! I weigh 185lbs by the way...

Mike

Is there a favorite oil and weight with new springs (hyperpros) and everthing else stock?

If you buy a Hyperpro set (springs front and rear), or just the front, the right oil is included. Hyperpro uses 5W or 7,5W depending on the rider.

Helvet, with all the guys in Holland that liked the HyperPro springs were there any pushing 300 pounds like me?

Are the progressive springs heavy enough for me?

I'm still trying to decide on spending the $$$ or not. :?

I WILL get a tax refund this spring. :D

Well after talking on the phone to Doug at hyperPro I have the "combi" kit coming. He waived shipping so it's $249 delivered. :D

This gets me fork springs, a rear shock spring, 7.5 wt. fork oil, and instructions.

With the steering head bearings should be awesome next spring!

How about some pictures of anything that seems difficult. I plan to order from Doug after the first of the year. I know it comes with a how to video, but this will be my first time into forks.

Helvet, with all the guys in Holland that liked the HyperPro springs were there any pushing 300 pounds like me?  

Are the progressive springs heavy enough for me?

:D

I am not sure how much that is in Kilo's....

But the good part about these springs is that they adjust to the rider weight (with limits ofcourse). The only thing you need to adjust is the sag.... Replacing valves is not required, but in your case probably advisable.

300lbs =136kg.

Doug at HyperPro said since it is a progressive spring it will be fine. He didn't tell me there was a video :? I'll see when I receive it.

The manual does an excellent job of going through it step by step. I'll do a writeup but still don't have a digital camera.

A funny question Doug asked me was will I be doing fork seals at the same time. He says he can't go 3 years without blowing one. (he has a 97 XX)

I've only blown fork seals once on a bike and that was with my V65 Sabre at 72k miles and 14 years old.