CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sheet metal and acoustics

SpokaneXX

I'm getting ready to finish the inside of my shop and was planning to just insulate and sheetrock...then I remembered that I had a stack of metal roofing material left over from another project and thought it might look kinda cool/industrial to finish out the shop in a metal/metal or metal/sheetrock fashion.

Just curious how the metal siding might effect accoustics. I like my music and generally loud and am curious from those in the know how the metal "in" siding might effect my music...

TIA

J

I'm getting ready to finish the inside of my shop and was planning to just insulate and sheetrock...then I remembered that I had a stack of metal roofing material left over from another project and thought it might look kinda cool/industrial to finish out the shop in a metal/metal or metal/sheetrock fashion.

Just curious how the metal siding might effect accoustics.  I like my music and generally loud and am curious from those in the know how the metal "in" siding might effect my music...

TIA

J

Metal will generally induce more 'bouncing', making the room sound clearer/brighter. If that becomes a problem, there are "echo traps" that can be bought but that's for a more 'anal' setting. That said, assuming the floor is concrete, it already makes for a bright-sounding room.

Bottom line, the more bouncing surfaces, the more agressice highs will be.

Hugo