CBR1100XX.org Forum

removing cam chain tensioner CCT

bonox

is the stopper tool required to remove the old cct?

the old kwaka i had wouldn't mind if you held the thing in with your hand while undoing the bolts - possibly a bit of a weak spring on a less than 1000cc bike though.

is there a substitute for the stopper tool listed in the manual?

ie can you use a thin screwdriver?, or be quite rough in filing up a 'tool' out of some sheetmetal?

PS, the new CCT comes with a little piece of metal in the seal bolt hole at the top - i take it this is not a stopper tool that can be removed and used on the old one? Giving it a little pull sounds lile all hell will break loose inside if the thing is not installed when the 'pin' comes out.

I ended up changing the CCT on mine ( thanks John01XX ) and I couldn't believe how easy it way. Just as it's been said before, don't pull the "pin" out of the new unit untill it's installed and torqued down. Don't over tighten it either. As for the old one , just un-bolt it , and toss it out. Clean the gasket surfaces with a clean razor blade and pop in the new one. Peice of cake.