CBR1100XX.org Forum

My experience with changeing to a R1 reg/rec.

I know this was done already but it's been lost with the system dump. I also wanted to include some other pointers.

My appologies, I don't remember who did this origionally.

When you go to get a Yamaha R1 reg. from a salvage yard, make sure they will also give you the plastic connector with a short section of wires attached. This way you can match colors. Some yards don't want to cut the factory harness since they could sell it whole.

The reg. will fit in the factory bolt holes with just a slight Dremmeling of the slots in the reg. The reg. is alluminum no big deal. You will have to find longer bolts also since it is thicker.

For the hook up, inside the plastic conn. each wire spade conn. is held in with a plastic tab. You just take a eye glass screwdriver and push the tab aside and pull the spade and wire out.

The colors are: 3 white Yamaha for 3 Yellow Honda. Stator output. No order to them all the same. (AC voltage) 1 black Yamaha for the 1 green Honda ground - and red to red both for +

The three stator wires will snap right in to the R1 connector, the - and + have to be changed. They are too wide to fit.

I found these spade connectors at Pep Boys. The company name is Conduct-tite and they say female fits Ford 1/4". or just take the connector with you to match it up like I did.

Then just cut off the 2 wide ones and crimp on these connectors and snap them in. This gives you a "Factory" quality connection.

What you get for your truobles is a reg/rec. that has HUGE fins on it and will last far longer than a Honda one.

BTW, after dealing with salvage yards I checked a Yamaha dealer and was quoted a price of $75 for a new R1 reg. I need to check further since this seems cheap for what I am used to.

Hindsight is 20/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, still in the stone age. I don't have a digital camera. Maybe I could chip out a picture on a slab of granite and someone could post it for me. :lol:

Most salvage yards will take a CC and ship, just call around. The back of Motorcyclist has ads. Just know the price of a new part to negotiate. I was surprised to see a new R1 reg is only $75.

Ahh.. why didn't you say so!

Typical wiring is to not use the connector that is directly below the little catch (normally on the "top"). Each side of that will be the positive/negative. Looking at the r/r, positive on the left, negative on the right. The other row is the stator input. Doesn't matter which way round the wires are.

If you look at the top image in either of my articles, you can see this quite clearly.

When I went to a Yamaha dealer and asked AFTER the fact, (story of my life) they said that you could buy the plastic connector new also. same dealer told me brand new R1 reg. only $75 :shock: I still need to check another dealer. This one is REALLY backwards ass countryfied even for PA! old dusty, wood floors, crappy bldg. etc. Don't they have standards for dealer quality? They did have a 2003 R1 on the floor though. :grin: sweet.