CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork spring upgrades? * impatience has won *

arcticflipper

Front fork Springs - Which do you preffer? Why?  

21 members have voted

1. 1.

• Hyper Pro
    • K-Tech
    • Ohlins
    • Standard Springs with lighter weight oils
    • Leave it alone - it's good enough as is
    • Another brand - Please supply name
    • Kayaba
    • Marzzochi
    • WP

Looking to upgrade the fork springs.

Now I know there has been a lot of coverage on this topic, but I still don't know which to get.

I've now spoken and read up about a lot of different types and makes, and received so much conflicting info that I decided that you guys must know the best.

Afterall, I'm sure the guys and gals on here have tested and used the majority of available products on the market so far.

So Please help.

So now after reading and getting every ones replies to this, I've gone against everything that came up here!

I know ----------

Ordered Wilbers Progressive Springs 2 day, only USD123.00 and USD48.00 for shipping.

Had a look at the flow charts of both the Wilbers and Hyper Pro springs, and I have to say I can't see a difference, besides the name on the packaging. I wonder if Wilbers isn't supplied by HyperPro? Well will get these in about 10 days...

Can't wait to see the difference in handeling.

Will also drop the fron with 1" as suggested by HyperPro, with 5W Putoline Fully Synthetic Fork Oil.

Now if I could only learn to actually ride the Bird, that'll really help...

LOL

I used Eibach 1Kg springs with 37mm sag. Also have Suspension Tech rebound and compression valves with a custom shim stack, and 2.5 weight oil. It was worth the trouble to have it done but the labour (and expertise) was a little pricey. I'd do it myself next time. Difference is very noticable. A lot of the roads are the quality of goat tracks down here. I also have the 5mm longer Wilbers shock on the back from the group buy.

The suspension mods are the best money I have spent on any bike.

The bike is much better on heavy braking, cornering (with Pilot Powers :D ) and rough roads, but it is still plush on longer trips.

Get the front done, It's worth it.

Race Tech 1.1 springs

+ Gold Valves

+ 2.5W oil

+ 6MM shimmed rear

=

Night and day difference in handling 8) Cheap, IMO, and I did it myself :lol:

Hyperpro. It's the only fully progressive spring, giving you comfort when touring, and better rideability when speeding.......

We did a group buy in Holland after testing a few set-ups of several Blackbirds with different shock/spring manufacturers.

Over 30 riders did a testrun on several bikes. Everybody who did testruns bought the Hyperpro! They were that much better.....

Only the guys who never tried Hyperpro bought Öhlins, Technoflex or WP. The other brands you never see here in Holland

BTW, the springs from Jaws are about 100mm longer than the stockers with correspondingly shorter spacers.

I thought I had the wrong springs at first, but John confirmed that they were Ohlins and designed by a 'Bird owner in Europe who is involved with a racing suspension company. This guy rides a 'Bird of his own and uses this set-up with 10 wt. fork oil.

Race Tech 1.1 springs

Where did you find 1.1 springs? The Race Tech website only shows as high as 1.0, and, uh, ahem, I would be best-suited to the 1.1s.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/mercha...ry_Code=rcetech

I called them and they have a lot more applications than listed on line........ Got my springs and valves from dem :wink:

Googled for Hyperpro and found a American website. Only listed through 99 xx. Are there differences? I have asked for tech support, but it is a holiday. Do they make different sizes for us ++ riders?

Edit, just released this question, and my mail updated. Doug Cameron the hyperpro distributor left this phone number. 888-963-1212 Says he rides a XX.

http://www.hyperprousa.com is the USA site, I am going to be getting the springs from them myself, and possible a rear shock.

Helvet is becoming a dealer in January, you might want to hold out till then.

Sure he might have a better deal for us.

Helvet is becoming a dealer in January,

Wow. What a shock.

Hey, I take offence to that remark! :lol:

I was a fan of Hyperpro long before I had the idea to start my own shop and include them......

I've already sold over 60 sets to BB-riders without being a dealer, and without making any money with it..... So why not try and make a living with my hobby? The big business for me will still be my regular job (Sales Accountant for Safety-gear), and it will be supplemented by selling my tires in Holland..... (Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Dunlop and Metzeler).

I just checked out Hyperpro's USA site.

Do they only sell one weight of fork springs? I am 280 lbs.

$175 delivered for fork springs, is there anywhere selling Hyperpro for less?

I'll be doing my steeringhead bearings and fork oil (for the first time :oops: ) over the winter and might as well drop in some good fork springs.

So now it's becoming more confusing....

Received a couple of emails back from various people in the racing industry, and manufacturers worldwide....

The majority of replies that came back was not to use any progressive spring on a XX, but rather use 10% stiffer springs with an air gap of

125mm and 10W oil.

I suppose this forum can't all be wrong now can they....

So now why have I not yet seen anyone mentioning much about the wilbers setup?

Cost for Wilbers Progressive springs are USD 123.00 excluding shipping and handeling.

Requested a flow chart from both Wilbers and Hyper Pro, and after looking at this I'm wondering if it's not the same spring, with a different name on the box.... Same digits right through to the top on the paper....

hmmmmm..... Maybe I'll go for the Wilbers, they are cheaper...

BTW, the springs from Jaws are about 100mm longer than the stockers with correspondingly shorter spacers.

I thought I had the wrong springs at first, but John confirmed that they were Ohlins and designed by a 'Bird owner in Europe who is involved with a racing suspension company. This guy rides a 'Bird of his own and uses this set-up with 10 wt. fork oil.

That's the info I got from Jaws. I also mentioned earlier that my springs are 1.05 kg/mm. I weigh about 245# with gear and they work well for me. Richard Cranium rode my bike a couple of weeks ago. Ask him how he liked it.