CBR1100XX.org Forum

And still another charging system question.

99Birdman

My battery went dead a couple of weeks ago and during the diagnostics I determined I was not getting any charge out of the R/R. Battery voltage wouldn't change from bike off to running at 5000 rpm except for the expected drop after starting. Ok, so my R/R failed (determined through the Electrex troubleshooting quide). During the checks, stator output was even on all three phases (50v @ 5000 rpm). The r/r failed the diode check. I ordered a R1 R/R which just arrived yesterday. I hooked up the two red wires into one, same with the green from the old R/R connector and used spade connectors to plug into the R1 Rectifier.

Here's my problem. The battery voltage now shows 12.9-13.1 with the bike off. With it running, the voltge goes to 13.9 but no higher. This is within specs according to the manual (battery voltage < charging voltage < 15.5) but I remember it putting out close to 14.5 or more when the old r/r was working. Should I not worry since it passed the checks and the stator output was ok at 50v? Does the charging voltage vary depending on the charged state of the battery (it just came off a battery tender for the new R/R)?

It looks like the R1 regulator is doing a better job regulating than the Honda one was.

15V is too high, IMO. Too hard on batteries. Automotives typically run 13.7-14.2, so you're right within that range.

I say leave it.

My first one lasted 2 years. I am on my third because I didnt know how to thoroughly check the stator, it had continuity but ultimately had 2 legs shorted to ground...I kick myself cuz I should have known better but yea mine puts out 13.9 as well, which is totally fine by me