CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mileage drop...observation and question

Warp11XX

I used to like winter. :roll: I used to pray for snow. :shock: The Bird has changed all that... :lol:

Going on for two weeks now. The average temps have dropped from mid 70's to mid/high 50's. My mileage has also dropped with no real change in driving habits. It has gone from 38 to 34...

I'm hoping this is fairly normal. I don't ever recall this being an issue with my carbed bikes. Is this just a FI anomaly caused by sensors and computer trying to make up for lost heat? Can I and should I attempt to compensate with settings on the PCIII? I definately smell a rich mixture leaving the exhaust...

I bought my wife a bike and my fuel mileage decreased only because I don't have someone behind me screaming :lol: So I twist the happy handle even more.

Might be the gas your buying. They will change the ingrediants for wintertime. Only thing I can think off.

I enjoy the cooler air from time to time. Instant cold air induction on the bird makes the front in very light... :shock:

You going to meet up with us again in May? We had a hell of a ride the next day.. :wink:

Hmmmm.... :? ...I bought a Rebel for my wife three weeks ago. Maybe this is a common factor... :lol:

I can't figure it out...I buy Texaco Supreme almost exclusively at the same station all the time. I don't really smell anything with the gas or notice any difference in power or anything. I've ridden so consistantly every day that no changes in performance have really caught my attention. The exhaust smells like more unburnt fuel than it usually does though especially at idle. She has almost 11K on her now since new in January. I may try turning off the accelerator pump option on the PCIII...I'm not really gaining anything or taking advantage of it anyway.

I'd love to meet up with you guys in May. I'll have to work out something so I can stay and ride longer this time. That 150 mountaintop route was one shaweet road! :thumbsup:

Warp also might wanna pull your plugs.

I had to replace mine at 9k miles. The little irridium electrode thing was almost non exsistant. I don't know if I got a shitty set of plug or what from the factory, but when I compared the new to old you could ride a busa through the difference. :(

Coming from the "Great White North", I can tell you the same thing happens to cars in the winter. We were always told it was because the engine "works" harder to keep the operating temp in the optimal range- more load on the engine= less mileage. (or so we were told)

I enjoy the cooler air from time to time. Instant cold air induction on the bird makes the front in very light... :shock:

This was kinda my thinking, I find that the birds, much like any IC engine runs much smoother, and stronger when the air is a little cooler. That has a direct correlation on how I turn the happy handle. I rode it yesterday, and it was in the 50s, and that is the happiest the XX has been in a long time. OMG it was unbelievable how it was running. I fall in love with this thing all over again everytime I ride it.