CBR1100XX.org Forum

Motorcycle Lift, Jack, Whatever...

RDosdorian

I am considering purchasing a motorcycle jack. I would buy the lift, but I just do not have the room for it. Has anyone tried to use the jacks (either from Pitbull, Sears, J&S, Kragen, etc) on the XX ? Does it work pretty well?

Something similar to this (this one is on the higher $$$ side.)

http://www.jsjacks.com/bigwheellift_intro.htm

- Ray

A jack of that sort won't work.  They require the bike to have a flat bottom.  The XX doesn't.  If you want a workstand, you'll have to get a swingarm stand like one of these:

pb1.jpg

That was my concern. I am actually purchasing one for the goldwing, but I thought I could use it for the XX as well.

I'm not Joe, either, but....

Best? Pit Bull

But, if you're talking just using them for storage, Handy Stands are probably a better and much cheaper option. These are probably a better deal than the Pit Bulls for most home mechanics, just not as versatile. Probably what I'd have if I hadn't pretty much fallen into a set of Pit Bull stands

I would highly recommend installing spools if you intend to leave the bike on a rear stand long term. Don't ask how I know....

I'm not Joe either but I have the Handy Stands and they can't be beat for the money.  I use mine maybe twice a year and don't need a expensive, heavy duty pitbull.

Which Handy stand do you use?? I would assume the universal as the CBR ones probably would not work on the rear.

Well clearly there aren't many guys named Joe around here, but the advice is certainly as sound as what Joe would say, if he were here. Thanks for the suggestions. I think the Heftys are a good idea, since I'm only putting the bike up for a few months this Winter, and not working on it when they are mounted.

Bob

Guest rockmeupto125

Bob....I concur with popular opinion. Don't know what the best is, but Pit Bull should be right up there with the contenders. For occasional work, the Handy Industries stands do well.....I brought mine to NeXXT for folks to use with their hobby activieies.

Rdos....there are a variety of lift points and adapters for the EasyRizer. There are wheel lifts, centerstand/frame lifts, header/frame lifts, and footpeg lifts....and you can interchange them using one type on the front, and another on the rear. The nice part is the stand is stable as all get out, and can be moved with relative ease (for a machine of its capability) by one person. Sorry about the link.

http://www.on-bike.com/

Just to be sure the universal handy stands are what works best with the bird. i saw the post with the picture of the suzuki up on the universals but are they what work best with our blackbirds or are the cbr stands what i want?

The Handies will work great with the bird, but you have to be sure to get the rubber pad NOT bobbin support. The CBR stand package will work, but the Yamaha one won't as the R1/R6 have goofy forklegs.

Unless your name is J Red and have a pimp black swingarm with bobbins.