CBR1100XX.org Forum

Best touring tank bag?

Big-V316

Hi Guys

I found my bike and even with the wiring problem I am happily getting it ready to tour on. My question is what tank bag would give alot of storage and pockets ( we likes pocketses) without hiding my guages. I have seen pictures of the tourmaster tri bag as well as the motopak gt-35 and a few others but the local shops don't carry them. I would love some help as I don't want to make a big money mistake.

Thanks

I use the Nelson-Rigg version of the tri-bag (which apparently they don't make anymore) and it's a great bag. Lots of pockets with net dividers, and a good big map pocket. I don't use the upmost part, otherwise I wouldn't be able to see my gauges. A friend has the Tourmaster and it's a very similar bag. I'd recommend either.

25803061-L.jpg

That's not the best pic in the world but it's the best I have. The bags have good sturdy handles and they're friggin huge, but not terribly tall. The NR has 6 magnets, I don't know about the Tourmaster. They cover the top of the tank well but are not so tall you can't see over them. And don't be afraid to buy used. As long as everything's intact and not tore up to shit, you can save quite a bit of money.

my feeling on this would have to something that is very stable, even at speed, and does not interfere with anything else or the ride.

I have a no-name make, it does fold out to take a full face helmet.

Obviously it's not very stable with a helmet in there, it was never made for that

I need a quick and easy system that I can stick onto the bike without any real hassels, or time wastage. I need to be able to take it off just as quickly.

I know that there was a post here about Magnetic tank bags and what they did and did not do etc.

I still feel that a decent magnetic tank bag is the way too go.

I have never had the bag come off the tank at any speed, even in heavy rain. I also dropped the Bird with the tank bag fitted, without it even moving on the tank.

Look for something that has decent magnets, but also a decent rubber or similar bottom protection - so that it doesn't scratch the tank.

I would suggest something that can fold out, to provide more storage space when you need it, and trust me when you start touring, you always seem to need more space.

I have to say that the soft saddle luggage is not worth the while, I have yet to find a set that suits the bike and is not a mission to fit.

Here I will definitely spend the extra cash and go Hard Panniers.

That's my 2cents worth.

I drive with my tank bag on a daily basis, and are very happy with it.

We in South Africa do not have such a nice variety on these products as you guys there, but I'm sure you can find something decent enough.

I had a look at the Oxford range, and found that even with all the warranties etc it still was not providing me with what the no-name brand could, at a quarter of the price.

I've had this tank bag now for 3 years, and have never looked back.

My tank bag doubles up as a proper suitcase with a strap or even a backpack.

What more do you want.

Magnetic ?

Givi T 426 !

T4EXMAGTANBA.jpg

Three bags in one....

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/mercha...oduct_code=T426

If you need to prottect your tank, than Bagster is the answer....

http://www.bagster.com/en/moto/catalogue.p...CBR%201100%20XX

Pick a year and the color....

or look here... http://www.cbr1100xxforums.org/forum/viewt...ghlight=bagster

1083541559ATHENA%20zoom4.jpg

Call CIMA 866-2HELMET or helmets@aol.com

Cheers,

I have an Oxford magnetic expandable tank bag - has a fanny pack and shoulder straps in various pouches. Have been up to 270Kph (after putting my speedohealer on) and it didn't shift at all. It has a map pocket on top, pockets on both sides and at the back.

Will try put a pic up as soon as I have one.