CBR1100XX.org Forum

Voltage Guage

ironmike

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed mine today. I couldn't find a place to stick it to, so I went down to Lowes and picked up some sheet metal. I spraypainted the metal black, so it'll blend in to the dash. I bent it in the shape of an L and mounted it onto the top bolt that holds the gaugeset. It comes up from behind the gaugeset, and sticks out above the speedo. I tapped into the power cables that go into the gaugeset. Tried to use the online manual that *ahem* I acquired from this forum, but found out that some of the wires didn't match since the downloadable manual is for the FI bird. So, went to dig out my trusty hardcopy manual for carb'ed birds. Ziptied the outside temp sensor to the front intake. It works real well when the bike is moving! But, picks up on the bike's heat when I'm stopped.

2005.11.27_voltometer.jpg

I noticed it fit there, but I wanted it more in my field of vision. That, plus eventually I'm going to get a tankbag. I wouldn't be able to see it down there with a tankbag mounted.

Have you had any issues with this unit yet? Have you ridden in the rain with it?

That also fits good on the top triple, just FYI.

16000100-M.jpg

I have the same unit and that's exactly where I mounted it; good clean installation and readily visible.

I wouldn't be able to see it down there with a tankbag mounted.

I don't know what sort of tankbag you have, but my tankbag "safety" strap goes around the stearing

head tube, not the triple, and thus the voltage/temp meter does not interfere in anyway with the tankbag.

I got the triple (digital) gauge and mounted it similar to bar10dah's... with a coupla differences.

To address the "watreproofing issue", I used the clear plastic packaging halves, trimmed to fit like a clamshell, and sealed the perimeter with electrical tape. I can still push buttons through the plastic. I used hook & loop (velcro) at the rear of the base and at the rear of the two upper corners to connect to the dash (top of the speedo facia) and two inner spots on the windscreen (DG dark smoke, so it's invisible from the front).

'Sorry, no pics... but it looks very similar to bar10dah's installation - just visually add about a 3/8" matte black border around the perimeter of the gauge.

As for the temp probe... you know that small trap door/plate in the floor of the nose, the small plastic snap-in trapezoid..? I understand it houses a "parking light" or equivalent on European models. I center drilled a snug hole and fitted the probe (sans suction cup) straight down, protruding 5/8" into the airstream. I now have a reading on the air temp that enters the ram ducts, and that accesses the oil cooler and radiator.

So far, so good...

8)

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread here.

I want to add a Voltmeter to the Bird. I have to believe it will potentially help prevent me from having some bad surprises on one of the Bird’s weaker systems, the electrical system.

Is the Datel DVM still an easy, simple the way top go? Any certain model number?

Can a “Ten Thumbed Knucklefuck” like me hook it up? Wired direct to? Line run through where? Anybody have any pics?

As always, I appreciate your help in preventing me from doing something stupid with my Bird.