CBR1100XX.org Forum

EEK! scary noises in neutral?

dissolvedego

tonight i noticed when i put the bird in neutral and let out the clutch a nasty *KER-CHUNK* type noise... like i missed a shift or something. then to my horror, when i tried revving the engine it made more of these noises, sounding horrible like it was between gears and about to do serious damage if i kept it up. i'm pretty sure it didn't do this before.

this can't be normal. it really sounds horrible, like if i revv it in neutral i will tear the gears to pieces. :shock:

anyone experienced anything similar?

Does the noise go away when the clutch is pulled in?
h

yes... it's like when i let the clutch out in neutral it goes partially into gear and starts grinding.

i've noticed it only seems to happen in low rpms... if i rev high the noise goes away... but that first rev off of idle is like "K-K-K-KLLACK!". it seems quieter now... maybe it had something to do with the cold weather?

Guest rockmeupto125

There's significant clutch basket noise at an idle that goes away when the clutch gets pulled in. If these noises go away with pulling in the clutch, or increasing the RPM, and sound like kerchunks or quiet taps with a large hammer, that's probably normal.

If there are screeching or grinding sounds, if this noise has just noticeably started, or you have reason to suspect the transmission may have developed a problem (you know its been mistreated, you've recently missed a killer shift, or its taken to jumping out of gear or lurching), you should have someone with a bit more mechanical knowledge take a look at it.

good luck.

There's significant clutch basket noise at an idle that goes away when the clutch gets pulled in.  If these noises go away with pulling in the clutch, or increasing the RPM, and sound like kerchunks or quiet taps with a large hammer, that's probably normal.  

ok i think that's what it is. it was just louder the other night than usual... now i'm thinking it was probably there all along, just quiet enough that i didn't notice it. i think it also happens when releasing the clutch in gear, but it's hard to tell because i'm usually giving it some throttle at that point, or distracted by the bike's movement.