CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ceramic Coated Headers

HamrTym

Has anyone had any experience with ceramic coating their headers? Reduced heat during slow moving? Extra performance? Or waste of time/money?

Asking because, due to my recent misfortune, I have to replace my Yoshi full system. Since I will be putting on a new one, I'm wondering if the coating would be worthwhile.

Thanks.

Coating in the automotive world has the following benefits:

1 lower underhood temps

2 higher exhaust stream temps, hence higher exhaust flow rates

If you can afford it then by all means. If anything, you will have a cooler running bike. The increased flow might net you a few HP, but that depends on a lot of factors.

I coated my stock header, and it turned out very well. Not sure if it gained me any hp or not, though.

Sold it to G2 in Florida, but never heard back from him if it helped with reduced temps in that hot Florida sun.

Try PM'ing him if he doesn't pipe up.

Definitely reduces heat wash to your legs in city driving, also drops operating temp a bit. That heat winds up in your cans though, so if you're running c/f mufflers in the heat (say AZ, or CA), you might cook 'em. If you've got metal cans, gotta make sure any luggage doesn't contact them.

No noticeable power increase. Mine has a nickel based ceramic that looks great. Cost me 100 bucks and 3 days at Airborne Coatings in OKC. I'd do it again.

Sold it to G2 in Florida, but never heard back from him if it helped with reduced temps in that hot Florida sun.

I'm almost embarrassed to say that it's still hanging on the wall above the workbench. A wrecked FJR project (along with an old "93 GSX600 beater) is taking up most of my time lately. The plan is to do all the needed XX maintenance when the Yamaha is done.