CBR1100XX.org Forum

HIGH MILEAGE PLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

bbirdxx2000

Hell, you can probably go over 100,000 miles on a set of plugs, just not effectively. I just bought my first set of Iridiums (they are out in the truck). I have changed the platinums religiously at 8,000 miles, even when I felt like I didn't need to. Everytime, the change was so significant. I plan to try 10,000 - 12,000 on the iridiums because IMO, no matter which plugs you buy, the XX eats them and will run faster/more efficient on new ones.

Warchild has been a part of a number of these threads, Dale, what are you getting out of Iridiums for effective mileage????

MaXX

i just hit 20k on mine with no noticeable difference

Until you install new ones, that is................ :wink:

I change mine yearly. I do it myself, and don't worry much about the cost of the plugs.

Don't judge a spark plug by it's looks, unless you're dealing with copper plugs. The platinum and iridium coating is there to prevent the deterioration of the electrodes. Once the coating is gone, the plug is pretty much toast, so if any wear is noticeable, then the plugs have been shot for a while.

Change them regularly, and don't be so cheap.

My $.02

I agree. I bet my mgg would improve as well. I'm sure as I've driven those 20k miles that the performance has gradually decreased, hidden from me :grin:

I'm planning on doing my plugs around 24-25k :cool:

Like I said, I dump the Platinums after 8k. If your bike is stock, you will only notice the plug degradation in MPG and then when you change them. With my bike being piped and jetted, this time, at 9k miles, my bike starts to back fire a bit at 4k RPM's. Replaced the platinums with Iridiums last night, unless you change the plugs, you don't know how much it really wakes the bike up!!!!!! Literally, two different bikes.

MaXX

I change mine yearly. I do it myself, and don't worry much about the cost of the plugs.  

Yep me too! Easy job if you take your time.