CBR1100XX.org Forum

ok got air screw in...wont start

devilisht2003

got the air screw in the XX finally that i ordered and after putting the bike back together i have all the screws equaly in but the bike wont start.....turns over just fine....back fired a time or two though when tryin to start it.....so.......too rich or too lean or what???

tried it again and still nothing........not sure how many turns out the screws are....dont have the real tool to do it, i set the 1st and 2nd screws at what looked like the same as the 3rd and 4th

For the pilot screw tool go here.

http://www.cbr1100xxforums.org/forum/viewt...ghlight=hornady

I'm assuming you did this with the carbs out. You need to screw the pilot screws in till they LIGHTLY bottom then out 3 turns (all 4 evenly).

After you reinstall the carbs you have to get the bowls full of gas again. I take a long vinyl tube and attatch it to the petcock where the engine vac. tube connects and suck on it. this opens the petcock and fills the the carbs.

If you don't do this you'll be cranking awhile before there's enough gas to start the bike. then with your eratic pilot screw settings it's easy to flood then foul the plugs.

Travis, FWIW, the ones I set were ~2.5 turns out... On a stock bike with stock air filter, that was OK on mine... I did end up going 3 turns out though... If you want me to drop the tool by this evening on my way home, I can...

Mike

yeah if you could drop it by mike that would be nice so i can try to figure out what's up......tried starting it again this morning and still nothing but LOUD high pictch back fires

it was FLOODED to start with... took probably an 8 second (followed by what sounded like a shotgun going off) and then a 10 second starter run at WOT to get the thing started... then we set the mixture screws and it was coo...

Mike