CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wheels, again

demon

Just wondering if anyone has stripped the paing off there wheels. I was talking to a friend last week who has polished the wheels on his gixr 1000. He thinks my wheels are rough cast on the spokes and the inner part of the rim where the paint is not smooth. This would entail a LOT of sanding to smooth things up. Just wondering if it is worth it.

The spokes and inner part of the rim ae rough casting finish. The outside of the rim is semi polished. What I did was strip the outer rim and steel wool it to nice finish, then buff off the gloss on the paint on the spokes and painted it silver. Looks real nice IMHO. Check it out.

2003784258351237142174.jpg

2003783835396567813791.jpg

That does look good, at about a third of the work :grin: Think I'll start rubbing on the wheels in a week or so, if the rain keeps up. What kind of seat are you running? looks like a Corbin gunfighter.

Just a stock seat with aftermarket upholstery. Have 2 seats. Just had my Sargent seat recontoured for more comfort but no pictures yet. Wheels were pretty easy, just masked off the tires carefully, then a few coats of paint remover, stripping pad, steel wool, mother's metal polish. Easy to clean also.

MikeG

Demon, you can do it, but the spokes will take more work and maybe some air tools if you want them like a mirror.

Just so you know it's going to be a bitch to keep them shiny. You'll probably have to take the rotors off each time to shine them up properly.

You'll probably have to take the rotors off each time to shine them up properly.

Actually, I just got through cleaning mine today with some Never Dull and I was able to fit my fingers between the rotors (I also have big hands).

I haven't forgotten about posting pics and how-to tips on polishing your wheels. It's just that I can only update my webpage when I'm signed on to the Comcast network. I work out of town and I can only do updates when I'm at home. I'll make the post the next time I go home.

This would entail a LOT of sanding to smooth things up. Just wondering if it is worth it.

YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO SAND! You will be letting a high-speed drill do the work.

Joe

• 3 months later...
The spokes and inner part of the rim ae rough casting finish. The outside of the rim is semi polished. What I did was strip the outer rim and steel wool it to nice finish, then buff off the gloss on the paint on the spokes and painted it silver. Looks real nice IMHO. Check it out.

Definitely like the look that you got. I might be concerned with using steel wool on aluminum though....usually any little steel powder imbedding itself into aluminum would cause dissimilar metals corrosion.....

Did you clear-coat the whole thing afterwards?