CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID v. HID.....

birdie_xx

Not sure if that's just sales tactics or this is a fact, but......

I emailed the HID seller, to find out if I can buy just the half of the kit, as I couldn't find anyone to split the one from the GB.

Not paying any attention, I e-mailed the seller that StPeteXX was setting up.

His kit is boxed like this...

1102867679034_HID_whole_kit_1_fix.JPG

...and it's marked as the 5th generation.

This is what I've got in the reply, regarding the kit from the GB....

Hi,

That is the generation 2 ballast and we do not sell that. The generation 2 ballast has really high failure rate because the products was made 3 years ago. Please be aware .

Jerry

Thought you may want to know.....

Thanks for the info... I immagine the new generation are better, but also, knowing a little bit about electronic failure modes, it's more likely that the failures were infant, or "out of box" failures... like the kind of thing that either doesn't work right out of the box, or stops working in 2-3 heat cycles due to solder joints or bad parts or something...

The thing that can happen, however is the other side of the "bathtub" curve will come in some, not giving the full advertised life, but if they have done ANY testing on them, they'd have at least a general timeframe on when they fail.

I guess if it lasts a year, I can't complain... Paying less for it than for a PIAA high wattage bulb (aren't they like $100?) and the PIAA bulbs don't last NEAR as long as a stock bulb...

EIther way, there are enough of them around here that if some of the higher mileage guys start losing them left and right, we may all want to take spare regular bulbs with us (which I am doing anyway)... ANy time you replace a glorified resistor with any kind of "real" circuitry, you always need to be prepaired for a problem...

Mike

Gotta be a reason for the big price difference between the two HID kits. ????

Rich

Yeah, probably GB vs. HK... And since they're made in HK... Plus selling large quantities with very little effort. Kinda like a little Walmart of the HID world. :lol: