CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear brake questions.

hillbillyxx

My rear brake has never been strong enough to lock the rear wheel since I bought it used. Lately it's been getting worse so today I bled the brakes until fresh fluid came out. Then I checked and roughed up the rear pads and rotor with sandpaper. The pad thickness is still over 50% Now the pedal is full at the first stroke and feels solid. The brake action is a little better but the rear wheel still won't lock up under hard pedal pressure.

Where should I start looking next? Could it be the rear master cylinder?

I've never locked the rear tire with LBS.... I don't know if anyone else's does or not but I assumed it was normal.......

+1

Anyone here with LBS been able to?

I've never locked the rear tire with LBS..... I assumed it was normal.......

Agree.

Only way I found to lock the rear with the LBS in place was to use the front lever. You can pretty much stand on the rear pedal without locking the rear the way it's set up.

Rear brake wouldn't even hold the wheel good enough to break loose the front sproket bolt, (50 ft/lbs). I need this for my old Magna. Wife has gotten the rear so hot that it will raise blisters.

Once on wet pavement in panic stop (cager pulled out of side street from my right after waiting several seconds for me to reach the critical point of 'oh shit i'm fucked') when I hit both brakes under adrenlin rush. It didn't lock right away, but did shortly after squeezing/pushing harder as the t-bone looked more imminent. Luckily, i was able to let go of brakes and dart across her stern barely missing curb. Front didn't lock.

I was (and still am) amazed how hard u can brake on the XX in wet pavement w LBS. Next bike will have ABS and linking.

Agree.

Only way I found to lock the rear with the LBS in place was to use the front lever. You can pretty much stand on the rear pedal without locking the rear the way it's set up.

Thats a good discription of the way mine feels. I have no complaints about the way it stops but the rear pedal always felt weak when used alone.

I've never locked the rear tire with LBS.... I don't know if anyone else's does or not but I assumed it was normal.......

+1

Anyone here with LBS been able to?

Oh yeah, I was splitting lanes and a car decided to dive right in front of me. I had slammed on the rear, locked it up and slid for 25 feet with the rear tire jumping up and down (you know... ert, ert, ert, ert..). At the last second I equalized with the front brake and came to a quick stop 8) .

Edited to add:

I'm using EBC HH Sintered pads.