CBR1100XX.org Forum

CCT making noise on start up?

Texhoss

On the first start up for the day, the top end of the motor, makes lots of noise. A slight twist of the throttle seem to quiet it down. Is this grinding anything to worry about? My bike is a 2003 with 4850 miles on it. I think it is the CCT. The oil changes are up to date. Thanks, for any info you might come up with. Texhoss

Are you sure it ain't the clutch?

Pull in the lever, see if it goes away.

Sorry for the stupid question, if you know what you're talking about better than I think you do. :lol:

J.

+1.

If if was the CCT, it shouldn't make any noise until around the 3k - 4.5k rpm range.

J Red, I don't know, the clutch seems out of adjustment. It engages the the last less than 1 inch of the lever release. Please tell me more. You might have something there. The noise is from the top of the heads, it sounds like. Would that be the clutch? Question question?? Thanks Texhoss

J Red it gets quiet when you pull the clutch in. Is it air in the clutch hydraulic line? You and Obby are smart cookies. Please help with ideas on how to make this problem go away.

After starting and holding the clutch in it is getting hard to go into first. Release the clutch and then pull it in again it shifts to first. WTF !! Thanks, Texhoss

J Red, I don't know, the clutch seems out of adjustment. It engages the the last less than 1 inch of the lever release. Please tell me more. You might have something there. The noise is from the top of the heads, it sounds like. Would that be the clutch? Question question?? Thanks Texhoss

Easiest way is just to try and pull in the clutch, it makes a some interesting noises on start up when it's cold. Goes right way when u pull in the clutch. Try this first.

If the clutch isn't slipping it's probably good......

J Red it gets quiet when you pull the clutch in. Is it air in the clutch hydraulic line? You and Obby are smart cookies. Please help with ideas on how to make this problem go away.

After starting and holding the clutch in it is getting hard to go into first. Release the clutch and then pull it in again it shifts to first. WTF !! Thanks, Texhoss

Probably nothing wrong with the bike. Mine does it, too.

Doesn't do this when warm, does it? :wink:

The clutch on your bike is bathed in oil, the oil is a contributing component to the clutch function. Thereby, if you alter the temp and viscosity of the oil, you are affecting the function.

Or...

Since the entire thing ain't bathed in oil, it may be sloshing around in the basket until such time that the oil gets warm, flows better, and performs as it normally does.

---

As for the no gear until releasing the clutch, the gears in your transmission are in constant contact with each other. Different ratios, all spinning at the same time. Unlike a bicycle, where you only have one connected to another at any given time. How can this work? There are dogs in the gears and on the shaft that engage/disengage to select which gear pair is the next one up or next one down. If the dogs:

gear2.jpg

Are lined up and stopped, they'll go in. If they're not lined up and stopped, they won't. Such is the event you're witnessing.

Releasing the clutch spins up the gears (remember, you're in neutral, no gear pairs are selected) and you can select a gear.

J.

I keep hearing that bikes shift better after switching to syn. oil. The bike has Honda oil and has about 1250 miles on this change. This started making noise and shifting harder about 200 miles ago. Should I stay with dyno oil or go to syn. oil? Thanks,

Texhoss

I keep hearing that bikes shift better after switching to syn. oil. The bike has Honda oil and has about 1250 miles on this change. This started making noise and shifting harder about 200 miles ago. Should I stay with dyno oil or go to syn. oil? Thanks,

Texhoss

Stay with dino oil, and run it hard after it's warmed up.

You need dino oil to properly seat the piston rings, and 4850 (IMO) ain't enough yet.

J.

Switch to synthetic next oil change, will greatly improve shifting.

My clutch makes that noise at cold startup for the fist 30 seconds or so. Some times if I don't want to hear it I hold the clutch in for that time.

Mine also engages at the last bit of travel, you get used to it.

The noise is actually the basket rattling back & forth on the damping springs in the basket, itself.

IMO, they're too light for their job, but quieten up once warmed. I'm sure it's just the increased viscosity of the oil that causes it.

If you want quiet when cold, go with a billet basket, but be prepared for a slight rattle when warm. :lol:

Can't have it both ways, apparently.

I was thinking about the last inch of travel question and think if you shorten the throwout rod from the slave cylinder to the clutch it would engage closer to the handlebar.

Of course it's a permanent change and you should grind off a little at a time and try it.

I'm leaving mine alone, just a thought.

Carl, as everyone has said, it's normal. I pull in my clutch on startup just to keep the clutch from rattling, give it a few revs and then let the clutch out...quietens done alot with that routine for me.

Just for kicks you could bleed your clutch to see if the engagment improves.

Porter