CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hi/lo HID install on 97/98

Moriartii

Just got my HID kit, woo hoooo, and am trying to figure out where to put the ignitors and ballasts. Got a couple questions for those of you who have done this. After reading numerous posts my questions are:

Ideal location for both ignitors and ballasts installed with nose on/with nose off. Remember this is a 97 with the analog gauges, room may be limited behind dash.

Read a post that led me to believe the Mcullough kits have longer leads on them. Will this allow me to put the ballasts under the seat? If so can I run the lead wires under the gas tank?

Someone mentioned somethig about doing Warchild's adjustment, what or where is that write up?

Thank you in advance as always!!!

Kinley

I put the ballast for my low beam velcroed to the front of the frame underneath the trim panel on the left side, I ran the wiring in the same are up and around the backside of the gauge panel.

I'm gonna do the right side the same way. :wink:

I tied both starters to the factory wiring harness under the dash cluster.

The ballasts got mounted on either side of the frame under the fairings with doublestick tape and a ( don't cringe ) a self drilling / self tapping screw. I also didn't have to remove the nose of the bike to get to the lamps , but shit , my hands aren't small and I had a hard time reaching for the retaining clips and screw assembly. The first ballast install took me a long time ( I had to figure out where I was going to mount everything ) almost 2.5 hrs. I also never had the bike apart before , so that was a learning experience. The second ballast assembly only took a 1/2 hour because I knew what I was doing.

And No. You can't mount either the ballasts or the starters under the seat. The leads are not long enough.

Ok, got the HID installed and what a PAIN THE ASS!!!!!!!

I need some insight here, first I had to splice the HID wiring into my bikes harness. Bummer number 1. Bummer number two is WHERE IN THE HELL do you mount the ballasts? I put mine via velcro on the frame under the trime pieces. Shit doesnt seem to fit worth a darn and is just not as clean as I would like. I am normally a fairly mechanically inclined fellow but this one just whipped me. I plan on going back and cleaning it up but before hand I need more insight or a picture.

Can someone help a brother out as I am totally frustrated as of now!!! :lol:

Thank you

Kinley

PS. Even with the frustration that I have encountered, HID ROCKS!!!!!!!

Ok, got the HID installed and what a PAIN THE ASS!!!!!!!

I need some insight here, first I had to splice the HID wiring into my bikes harness.  Bummer number 1.  Bummer number two is WHERE IN THE HELL do you mount the ballasts?  I put mine via velcro on the frame under the trime pieces.  Shit doesnt seem to fit worth a darn and is just not as clean as I would like.  I am normally a fairly mechanically inclined fellow but this one just whipped me.  I plan on going back and cleaning it up but before hand I need more insight or a picture.

Can someone help a brother out as I am totally frustrated as of now!!!   :lol:  

Thank you

Kinley

PS. Even with the frustration that I have encountered, HID ROCKS!!!!!!!

You had to splice into the stock wiring harness?!?!?! Dude... Unless your kit is drastically different fro the others, all you have to do is plug the spade onnectors from the HIDs into the OEM headlight plugs.

As for mounting the ballasts... what year is your 'Bird? Those that have a digital dash have it a lot easier as to mounting options for the ballasts and igniters. I (analog dash/gauges) mounted the ballasts onto the flat part of the intake rinners using the supplied double-sided sticky pad. I then ran the high voltage lines (with igniter) to the headlight assembly and coiled/zip tied the excess.

Yes had to splice in to the wiring harness, not because my kit was different but because I got so pissed off at not being about able to figure it out. :x (Call me patches brother :P )

I have a 97 bird and mounted the ballasts on the frame just rearward of the intact ducts for the airbox. Only problem is that they are crammed up in there and because of an upper flange on the back of the side fairing, it doesnt mount right. I may be just being anal but it bugs the crap out of me. Plus how hot do the ballasts get?

Kinley

I did some calling around and spoke to some places that sell HID kits. I am being told that the ballasts put off @110 degrees. With both of these behind my cluster that is 210 fucking degrees!!!!!!!!

I apologize for being a pain in the ass on this install but I am a little worried.

Help?

Kinley

If TWO ballasts can get to 110 degrees each ......

you can't add the two temps together and say it will be 220 degrees :?:

If you line up 110 degree bulbs side by side for a mile, you still only have 110 degrees

110 degrees is nothin when it is sitting just above the top of an engine that operates at 190 degrees and above.

Not sure I follow you John, coffee is not kicking in. The is approximate heat for each ballast which are in an enclosed space behind the cluster so would it not be cumulative? Plus the engine comment, makes sense, but there is a shit load of venting around the engine as well as a fair amount of space between the source of heat and the cluster. In the case of the mounting the ballasts, it is directly behind???

Kinley

Ps I am getting my post count up, does that make me a clueless post whore??? :twisted:

No temp issues for me on my '97. I have both units mounted to the back of the dash panel.

Time will tell I guess.

There are pics of the install available somewhere...Rick...paging Rick....

:stickpoke:

Rich

approximate heat for each ballast which are in an enclosed space behind the cluster so would it not be cumulative?

So does it make since then, that if you hooked up 8 ballasts then you would be generating 880 degrees of heat ???

Wow after a minute of idling you could watch your dash melt before your very eyes ?

No the temp does not accumulate.

I sense a bit of sarcasm directed towards my inability to figure out heat output..........

SMART ASS!!!! :twisted: :P

After futher reflection I do see your point :oops: Makes me feel a bit better.

Kinley

Well I just called John's smart ass up on the phone (very nice guy to talk to and helpful) and it appears my worries are for not (for those of you keeping up with my saga).

Apparently when he installed them, they (he and his buddy) bench ran the hid for several minutes without issue regarding heat. Also I was concerned about the "reset" post I read and John says he road for several hours last night without issue.

So I have leared that heat shouldnt be an issue, guys with the digital dashes suck (more mounting room), and I am an over analytical post whore. :twisted:

Kinley

97/98 mounting pics would be nice!!!!!

Well I just called John's smart ass up on the phone (very nice guy to talk to and helpful) and it appears my worries are for not (for those of you keeping up with my saga).

Apparently when he installed them, they (he and his buddy) bench ran the hid for several minutes without issue regarding heat. Also I was concerned about the "reset" post I read and John says he road for several hours last night without issue.

So I have leared that heat shouldnt be an issue, guys with the digital dashes suck (more mounting room), and I am an over analytical post whore. :twisted:

Kinley

97/98 mounting pics would be nice!!!!!

Glad to hear ou got your "issues" worked out :D

You can always do the digital dash conversion to give ya more room :wink:

Rich

Rich,

I told him about us splitting the two sets of the HID's.

Plus he called me terrible names on the phone like "Smart Ass"

as he did here on the Public forum !!!

Wow am I all hot and horny now .... phone sex is so much fun and satisfying !!

To much talk about heat I guess.

yes yes I did, but I also told him I would be buying some CA lens in the near future. So see I am a giver!!!!!!!

Thanks Rich, not only have I jacked up my HID install you want to add more "issues" to the mix with a digital conversion!

SMART ASS!!!!!!!

HA

Thanks for your help

Kinley

I sense a bit of sarcasm directed towards my inability to figure out heat output..........

SMART ASS!!!! :twisted: :P

After futher reflection I do see your point :oops: Makes me feel a bit better.

Kinley

Reminds me of when I fun with the wife while watching the weather. Forecast says 50% chance of rain today, 50% tonight. I say to her that means there is 100% chance of rain.