CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID Installation

blkbrdrydr

Maybe tweak the clips some??? My bulbs fit nice and snug. Bu I am using the 4300°K bulbs from another kit so there is a bit of a difference in the base of the HID bulbs. The ones we got with the group buy have a notch on the top and bottom of the base. Where my other bulbs only have the one notch like the bulb plug.

Just use the spark plug boot trick. I had some old accell wires around in the garage, one boot did both lamps and they are held in securely.

Since you already cut up the factory adapter then try to bend the clip to get a better fit, but for anyone else reading this, find an old spark plug wire, cut off two 3/8" thick rings from the spark plug end, split them and fit them around the lamp base. Done.

One last note guys. I was the one who reccomened this source of the kits,( not that it matters, I just want everyone to be well "lit") and belive me , you'll be really happy with the results. But do yourselves a big favor...... I posted a thread once on how I went about the install of this kit, and when it comes to the lamp install itself you'll NEED to do what I did to keep the lamp in correct orientation in the housing! If you don't, there will be a lot of help posts and a ton of frustration !!!!

The Secret with the lamp install is this. At the base of the capsule is a "disc" with a "tit" on it. This in the part of the lamp that litterally sits in the headlight housing. It has the "tit" on it so that when you place the lamp in the hole,,, it faces the right direction. The only shortcomming of this kit is this. That "disc" is shorter in height that the standard H-7 lamp. Because it is shorter, the clip that locks the lamp in place will not securely

hold the lamp!! Here's the trick.

TAKE A SPARKPLUG BOOT, AND CUT ABOUT 1/8-3/16'' OFF THE END. THEN,,

DIAGIONALLY , CUT ONE SIDE OF THE BOOT SO THAT YOU CAN OPEN IT UP LIKE THE LETTER "C". SLIP THAT PEICE OVER THE BACK SIDE OF THE LAMP CAPSULE WHERE THE RETAINING CLIP WOULD MAKE CONTACT WITH THE "DISC" ON THE CAPSULE. THEN YOU'LL HAVE GOOD TENSION WITH THE MOUNTING CLIP INSTALLED. IF YOU IGNORE THIS PROCEDURE,YOU'LL EITHER GO CRAZY TRYING TO BEND THE CLIP TO HOLD THE LAMP , OR THE LAMP WILL JIGGLE IN THE HEADLIGHT OR FALL OUT ALL TOGETHER !!!! Also , try not to touch the glass capsule. Handle it like a halogen lamp. If you do end up touching the glass with your fingers, clean it with some alcohol ( not beer ) .

Now , although the kits draws high current at startup ( 15 amp ) I didn't have to do anything to my XX's electrical system to handle it. It's never been a problem , and I have the kit installed on both high and low beam.

If anyone has any install questions , I'll answear all of them. I promise.

This board is the best damm thing I have found on the Web, and I just want to show my appreciation.

I ended up installing the ignigtor ( starters ) under the instrument cluster. Easy enough to do. I used Zip ties to secure the starters under the instrument cluster and tied the leads to the factory harness. The ballasts got mounted to the sides of the frame under the bodywork. I did this on both the left and right side of the bike. Now, the frame is curved on both side where the ballasts were mounted. I used both double stick tape ( comes in the kit) and I also ( try not to cringe at this ) a self drilling/self tapping screw on one side of the ballast into the frame. In 5K miles of riding since I have installed the kit , the ballasts have not moved at all. Best of all , it's all out of sight, and does not require removal of the instrument cluster, fairings or anything major. You will have to remove the

black plastic covers that run between the fairings and up to the dash board, but that was easy. If you follow these tips, you'll have plenty of length of the leads, and it'll make life a hell of a lot easier. If anyone comes up with some better install tips let me know. If anyone has any questions other than what was mentioned just e-mail me at

beondwacko@yahoo.com Sorry I didn't have pictures to go along with this.

This guy ships MEGA fast. 3 days from HONG KONG !!!! And that was to

New York.

Adam

At the risk of being repetitive here, I just discovered another "spacer" solution for the bulb to spring clip problem. I received my HID kit today and was doing some expermenting tonight with the bulb fit and discovered that something that most of you probably have at home will work. A common garden hose washer, like the one that you use when you connect your hose to the faucet or sprayer on the end of your hose, will work. I took two of them and split them open and put on the end of the capsule. I then installed the bulb (capsule) into the socket and placed the spring clip down on top of the capsule with the hose washers in place. A very nice tight fit and absolutely NO bulb movement. This on a CBR1000RR, but I believe that it will be exactly the same as on the BlackBird. Hope this helps.

At the risk of being repetitive here, I just discovered another "spacer" solution for the bulb to spring clip problem. I received my HID kit today and was doing some expermenting tonight with the bulb fit and discovered that something that most of you probably have at home will work. A common garden hose washer, like the one that you use when you connect your hose to the faucet or sprayer on the end of your hose, will work. I took two of them and split them open and put on the end of the capsule. I then installed the bulb (capsule) into the socket and placed the spring clip down on top of the capsule with the hose washers in place. A very nice tight fit and absolutely NO bulb movement. This on a CBR1000RR, but I believe that it will be exactly the same as on the BlackBird. Hope this helps.

I did the faucet washers, they worked great. I connected white with blue, green with black ad it's working!