CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hard bags 2 up

OrganDonor

I've made the decision to go to hard luggage. My wife loves to ride 2 up, and I've noticed from alot of the pics the luggage seems to sit high, the tops of the case well over the seat top. Is this a problem with the passenger having enough room to be comfortable? She's tiny (thank God). Any cases/racks to stay away from in terms of rear passenger comfort?

Thanks!

Ben

Only problem is getting on, really.  And if you put on a topbox as well, its a great backrest.

Exactly. As a matter of fact I would be uncomfortable with a passenger if they didn’t have something behind them. My daughter is 5’11’’ and is quite comfortable on the back. My eldest likes to use the handles of the side bags to hang on to. I have them use my pegs to get on the bike. I just slide forward until they’re seated. I’ve seen a few pictures of crooked exhaust from using the passenger pegs to mount up.

Edit: BTW, the XX looks dayum fine with the GIVI setup. Not so fine with the luggage off and just the wingrack showing. You can't go wrong. It's a solid installation and there are very few negative comments.

marty

I just got the GIVI E460 top box with backrest... The wife is 5'11" tall also... SHe loves the backrest and not having to carry around stuff when we get off the bike!

The only problem was getting her on the back, because she couldn't swing her leg over any more, so I slide forward as stated above, so she can get up on the rider peg and sit down before putting her feet on the passenger pegs... It works out well...

Also, I noticed that when riding solo, I dropped maybe 3-4mpg from having the top box on... I would normally get 43mpg pretty regularly when commuting, and the last tank I got like 39, but we will see if that was error, or what...

Has anybody documented exactly the % mileage drop when traveling solo with the top box vs. without?

Mike

Send pictures of daughter.....

Joe, Check my Photo Album. That's my youngest.

Has anybody documented exactly the % mileage drop when traveling solo with the top box vs. without?  

Good question. Never thought to check it, although there was a noticeble difference in response when I rode with just a single side case on the top rack at neXXt. I'm assuming the side cases act as a bit of a parachute, but I'm almost never without them.

marty

Lovely girl, Marty.  Doesn't look anywhere near her height next to you!

Is that your badass pic to hang in the hall where the suitors await her?   :lol:

She's actually about a half an inch taller than I am. I think it's because she's sitting on the bike that she looks shorter.

Today the "lovely girl" got herself in a heap of trouble at school. I had to go pick her up. Suspended for 5 days. :evil: :evil:

The picture is a great idea. lol