CBR1100XX.org Forum

Throttle cable removal

Guest Jetpilot5

Guest Jetpilot5

Is there any way to remove the throttle cables from the throttle tube without removing the tank and air box to get more slack from the FI end? I've got all the cable adjusters up top as loose as they will go and still don't have enough slack to remove the cable. Just want to be sure I'm not missing something simple before I take all the other parts off. 2002 FI model.

Thanks!

You won't really be able to get more "slack" on the throttle cables, so in order to remove them from the throttle tube without taking them free at the throttle body you will need to remove the right handlebar.

First take off the front brake master/lever and then split the right switch (two screws from underneath). Remove the bar end, then loosen the handlebar clamp and remove the clip on the fork tube then pull the bar up. You can then slide the throttle tube/switch assembly off the bar. Once off the bar, the throttle tube can be manipulated enough to get the ends of the cable off.

There may be another way, but I just went through this myself yesterday and couldn't get enough slack on the cable without taking it off the handlebar.

Hope this helps.

Guest Jetpilot5
You won't really be able to get more "slack" on the throttle cables, so in order to remove them from the throttle tube without taking them free at the throttle body you will need to remove the right handlebar.

First take off the front brake master/lever and then split the right switch (two screws from underneath). Remove the bar end, then loosen the handlebar clamp and remove the clip on the fork tube then pull the bar up. You can then slide the throttle tube/switch assembly off the bar. Once off the bar, the throttle tube can be manipulated enough to get the ends of the cable off.

There may be another way, but I just went through this myself yesterday and couldn't get enough slack on the cable without taking it off the handlebar.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it helps immensely! :allhail: The service manual says to remove the cables first and then the throttle tube and makes no mention of needing to get under the tank but I can't see how you could ever get the cables free first. I'll go pull the handle bar.

Thanks for saving me a bunch of unnecessary work!

No problem. Yeah, the manual just simply says "remove cables from throttle tube", but no mention as to how.

One small step I did forget to mention ,that you would have figured out, was to remember to unplug the brake switch from the master cylinder as well.